Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

My 240D is comatose - seized engine?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 05:23 PM
Default My 240D is comatose - seized engine?

Oh, this is a sad post. My 1982 240D is having engine problems. Well, maybe that's only if "possible death" counts as a "problem." I fear it has seized, but either way, it won't start. To add guilt to anguish, I am afraid the reason it may have seized is that I have been driving many miles (big commutes lately) without remembering to check the oil. There is an oil leak, which may have been worse than I thought, because the engine began to screech and, as I moved to pull over, cut out. Well, then I remembered to check the oil - it was dry.

Now, I am no mechanic - I just try, and apparently fail, to pay attention. When my engine cut out, a couple things struck me as odd:
1 - this happened immediately after filling my tank with diesel. coincidence?
2 - I added some oil at the side of the highway and the car started for a moment - the engine actually did go. Since then, as I have naively used the starter to see if my car would turn over (now I hear that is a bad plan if the engine is seized - arrgh) - it's a no-go - it actually behaves similarly to when it had a totally clogged fuel line. It coughed a tiny bit, but pretty much does nothing. Can it do that if it's seized?

Well, is there any hope, do you think? I'm trying to decide whether to (a) do something myself to see if I can get it going, (b) take it in to my friendly mechanic (I'm broke), or (c) cash in my chips and give up on my beloved 240D. Any advice would be extremely appreciated - as to what the problem is, and what, if anything, I can do. As I said I'm not a car mechanic, but I'm handy and have a basic grip on things and am willing to give it a shot. THANKS!

Old 06-19-2007, 07:19 PM
Default RE: My 240D is comatose - seized engine?

how much oil did you have to add before it showed on the dipstick?

when you try to start it does the engine crank (make "trying to start noises")?
or does it do absolutely nothing
[align=left] [/align]

Old 06-20-2007, 11:43 AM

Thank you for responding. I had to add between 2.5 and 3 quarts of oil before it was where it should be on the dipstick (cold). Last time I tried to start it it did crank, though the crank got slower and weaker as I kept at it. It coughed a bit also, but that's the best I have gotten from it since I brought it back to my driveway. I have no clue as to whether my main problem was lack of lubrication (the squealing engine, then stop) or bad diesel (it happened like a mile after I filled up my tank) or clogged fuel filter (my tank was low) or some other problem. So I appreciate anything you have to say that can help me figure out how simple or expensive this issue is. Thanks.

Old 06-20-2007, 08:43 PM

I don't think you have a seized motor. that is about a 6 or 7 quart system maybe even 8

change the fuel filter (the secondary one), charge the battery fully
prime the fuel system and it should go

that is, if your glow plugs are working

send me a personal message and I'll give you my email and/or phone number and talk you through it if you like
[align=left] [/align]

Old 06-22-2007, 09:06 AM

Hi there -
I did as you recommended and changed the fuel filter. After much effort starting it, it runs - a great victory. But I am afraid. I had to take it in to a brakes place last night because the tow driver had snapped my brake line. Folks there are saying the engine doesn't sound right for an old diesel. It's been running a little rougher but it's been getting better each time I start it. So, I hate to ask after you saved me once, but is there anything else I can be doing? It was very recently (like 2 mo. ago) that I had to get a bunch of fuel lines replaced after they were clogged. For one thing, I'll never let it go below 1/2 a tank again. But I'm worried about my poor fuel system doing this stuff all over again tomorrow when I try to drive next state over for a job. I'm going to see if I can locate some diesel purge sold locally, do that, and change the oil. Think that would help? Any other thoughts? Thanks so much for helping me out with all this. The only other advice I had gotten has been that I killed my car, but it seems it's breathing after all...

Old 06-30-2007, 04:54 AM

Egon,

Have you played with the idle switch at all? There is an idle control mechanism by the steering wheel. Once you get your car to start, make minor adjustments to self tune it.

HTH

Mark the MB Rookie