Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

Just got a 1995 E300 Diesel... some questions.

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2005, 05:54 PM
Default Just got a 1995 E300 Diesel... some questions.

I am not a stranger to Mercedes, or its diesels. But the diesels i have had were all W123s.

My last car was a C220 that is, due to hard driving, a few accidents, mileage, and age, about ready to fall apart.

I bought this car with 107k miles on it (the E300) after the local dealer looked it over and pronounced it in good shape, if in need of some regular 105k mile wear replacements.

For the most part i am very happy with it. Its only real drawbacks for me is the lack of a cup holder, no cd changer, and the fact that its slow. I'd like some help on the first two... (i didn't buy a diesel looking for a fast car...)

First, would you have any specific reccomendations as to cupholders for use in this car? I only need one, and it only needs to be able to hold a Venti sized Starbucks cup. I'd like it in a place where it would be out of my hands way and unlikely to spill.

Second, CD changers are easy, but I would prefer one that was controlled via the dashboard radio, (which is the stock unit). I have seen a few 6-disc units that claim to be compatible with the W124 cars from 1994-1995, and most mention specific models, all BUT the E300D which is not mentioned, but not specifically excluded. The changers i am refering to claim to plug right into the pre-wired CD changer plugs. I can't find such a plug in my car. Any ideas?

Er, lastly, about a week after i got it the muffler fell off. I went to several local repair places and chain places (Mieneke, Midas, etc), and all quoted me $800-900 for the job. I called the dealer, and they came in at $780. Why is it so expensive/dificult to replace the muffler on this car?

And is there anything that the thing falling off should make me wary about?

Old 07-31-2005, 01:44 PM
Default RE: Just got a 1995 E300 Diesel... some questions.

Congrats on your new diesel ride. Since you don't have any diesel specific questions here, and I'm sorry I cant help you with your questions about your CD, or cup holders, you may have better luck posting your question about CD players in the Audio/Visual/Electronics forum here.

I not aware of any after market cup holders, but someone on another MB forum was offering custom made cup holders.

Old 07-31-2005, 08:33 PM

I have the same car as yours. Typically. you will find the CD wiring connection in the trunk behind the left (Driver's side) panel. If however your car came equipped with a factory installed cell phone, than they may have installed the Telephone TR/RX there. In that case, the CD wiring will be behind the right trunk panel.

In terms of cup holders, I bought two pull down cup holders from Wal-Mart here in Canada. They cost about $5.00 CDN each. I mounted them on both sides of the gear shift, in line with the heated seat switches. I Screwed them into the vertical carpeted area, so if I ever remove them, the holes will be invisible. These are extremely well made. They are adjustable and can accommodate almost any cup, bottle, or can size. They don't interfere with my legs, either when folded-up , or when in use, and I am a big 6'1 guy.

Does your $800.00 quote include just the muffler, or is it the muffler and the resonator? This model had two types, the first type in which the muffler, and the middle resonator were separate components and each could be purchased individually. The second type, in which both the muffler and the resonator needed to be replaced as one unit.

Last year I was quoted a price for the muffler, by a muffler repair chain here in Canada (Midas Muffler) of $400.00 CDN installed, (About $280US). They do not carry the muffler and resonator as a complete set. Luckily I was not looking to replace my muffler, I I just asked them for curiosity, as the only thing wrong with the muffler was a rusty tail pipe. I fixed that, by having them weld a new piece of tail pipe. The muffler itself was fine. If you live anywhere within driving distance of a major Canadian city, and if all you need is just the muffler, than it may be worthwhile for you to drive over and have your muffler replaced here in Canada. Its Much cheaper.

You may also want to look at this site as well, they sell the muffler, or the resonantor for 179.00 US by Mail order. I have never dealt with them. http://www.adsitco.com/category.asp?CID=1450

Good luck with your car,

Phil

Old 06-30-2007, 05:29 PM

just had rear muffler done on 99 e300 diesel at local meineke........287 bucks, muffler back.....not too bad.......sent wife to get it done........