Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

Motor mounts

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 10:24 PM
Default Motor mounts

I just thought some of y'all would get a kick out of my old mounts. the one on the left was the driver side mount, well....whats left of it. That's not all of it, there were two more rubber chunks that bounced off somewhere. The close up is proof it was original and 27 years old. See the 'Cedes logo? The other one has been replaced before. Possibly cause it is relatively easy to do. Mike (Mee-ka), my car, runs much, much better now.

Attached Thumbnails Motor mounts-pics-013.jpg   Motor mounts-pics-015.jpg  
Old 03-20-2009, 11:27 AM
Default Wow

yeah, I'd say they'd been on there for awhile! How difficult were they to replace?

Old 03-20-2009, 11:57 PM

Actually not to hard. I started them a week before but stopped because I was worried about how far to lift the motor. So I had a mechanic help me and came to realize that the motor does have to lift up over an inch because the mounts were collapsed. The next set will be a snap (an hour maybe) since I will be changing them out before they get bad.
~BTW I have only owned Mike for five weeks now.

Old 03-29-2009, 05:57 PM

This might sound like a crazy question, but how or what technique did you use to lift the motor. I'm in deperate need of some myself.

Old 04-01-2009, 08:48 PM

I got out a piece of 2 x 6 and put it between my jack and the oil pan. Make sure the wood is long enough so it does not end on the oil pan. Line it up diagonally and jack it up slowly until you see the motor barely lift off the mounts.
Unbolt both mounts from underneath with an allen socket and a socket wrench. I forgot the size.....8mm maybe. From here do one mount at a time. Then I found it easier to unbolt the arm piece that sits on the mount because it gave me room to see what I was doing. You may be able to do the two mount bolts on top the same way as the bottom, but with a universal link and an extention on your socket. Those bolts are smaller than the one on the bottom. When it's loose just jack it up very slowly untill you can slide or tap the mount out. To get the new one in you will probably need to jack the motor up some more. Don't freak out when you see your motor moving like I did. Get the new mount in and put it back together. Replace the engine shocks and or bushings if need be while you have them in front of you. The drivers side is the more difficult of the two but not really.
Remember to put the car on good solid stands as you will be under it quite a bit. Good luck!!