Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

Help with purge

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 06:01 PM
Default Help with purge

Hi everyone! my first post here, somewhere i never thought i would be lucky enough to be a member of. Just bought a 300d 2.5 with 127K. I need to do a purge bc of smoke rough idle etc. I think i have gotten down how to perform the purge using a bottle with the pressure and return lines pulled and put into the bottle. Everything I'm reading online points to using a hand primer pump to pull the air out of the hose before you start.

Does the om602 have a hand primer?

Old 01-25-2014, 09:35 AM

thanks for the response. I'm relatively new to diesels, so help me understand please. are you saying purge is bad for my particular injection pump, or all of them? I ask because this is the first I've heard of a purge being bad. I checked around the charlotte metro area, and the best i can find is b20.

Old 01-25-2014, 11:30 AM

Additives are generally a waste of money. Some of them can cause damage because the ingredients remove lubricating qualities from the fuel, something very necessary in a high pressure pump such as an injector pump. The people who sell them will never tell you that they might hurt anything. Having said all of that an anti-gelling additive during a sudden cold snap is probably a good idea.

Old 01-25-2014, 07:03 PM

so not being well informed, i did the purge anyway... and while doing it the idle smoothed out and was WAY more quiet. granted, it's cold as hell here. however, within 5 minutes of reconnecting the pressure and return lines the "loudness" was back. I failed to mention in my first post that the car sat for about 7 years in a garage and was driven intermittently to have service done at the dealer. all the hoses, filters, etc are mb genuine parts. where do i go from here?