Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

HELP: 240D Engine Keeps Running, plus more issues

Old 06-17-2007, 07:22 PM
Default HELP: 240D Engine Keeps Running, plus more issues

I own a 1982 Mercedes 240 (Automatic) with 174K miles. Recently, my car has been having some issues. Before I take the car to get serviced, I wanted to post the problems on this forum to get somefeedback. I'm female and the last thing I need is for a mechanic to give me a laundry list of problems and then be overcharged. Here are the issues:

1. Engine keeps running - When I turn the car off with my key, the engine continues to run. I have to use the manual shut off key on the engine to turn off the car. Is this a vacuum pump issue?

2.Door locks are slow - The door locks are slow to close and open. Is this also a vacuum pump issue?

3.Automatic Windows don't work - Currently my windows are stuck open and I'm unable to close them.

4. Gas Gauge and Temperature Gauge Issues - The indicators for both the gas and temperature gauges arenot working.The gas gauge shows that I have no gas (have a full tank), and the temperature gauge is stuck at 0.

5.Loud Knocking& Shaking during Acceleration -When I acceleratefrom a stopped position, a loud knocking sound begins and the carrattles and shakesa bit. The knocking sound and rattling and shaking is coming from the front right side of the car. This only happens when I first accelerate. Once I continue driving the knocking, rattling and the shakingstops and the car runs just fine.

Any information you can provide would be greatly appreciate. I love this car and I hoping I can get these issues fixed and get her back on the road as soon as possible.

Old 06-18-2007, 04:59 PM
Default RE: HELP: 240D Engine Keeps Running, plus more issues

Hello , I have the same problem with my gauges on my 300SDL. Mine only go out over bumps. I think there is a loose wiring harness under the dash or behind the instrument panel. My dash lights flicker also. I am going to look at it tonight and see what I find. Just trying to give you ideas..... There is probably one big connector that supplies power to many things.

John

Old 06-18-2007, 06:38 PM

The no-shut-off and slow central locking are most likely related as they are both vacuum driven and they both run off the vacuum pump. I would guess you either have a leak somewhere along one of the lines or the shut-off pump is shot.

Your windows ( plural?...more than one, which ones or all of them? ) is probably a window switch. I highly doubt more than one window motor and/or regulator would break at the same time.

For your gauges, I would check the sender units. Perhaps someone else that has experienced this problem before may offer more insight there.

Shaking? Have you checked the motor mounts? I'm not sure if the 616 motor had it but I know other Benzdiesels had a strut that was designed to dampen some of the vibration.

Old 06-19-2007, 04:52 PM

1. Engine keeps running: this is a vacuum issue. You probably have a vacuum leak some where. Check the engine vacuum lines and make sure all the lines and rubbers are good. A vacuum gauge for around $30 (a mittyvac) comes in real handy to test to see if the vacuum pump is working properly and to check for leaks. Connect the vacuum gauge to the vacuum line (near the brake booster) and it show should some vacuum when the engine is running. You probably have some issues with rough shifting and maybe hardbraking as these two components also depend on vacuum.
2. Door locks slow. This is due to vacuum leaks also.
3. Windows...this is electrical problem. Bad motor? Always check the fuses first!
4. Temp gauge stuck at zero...you might want to try replacing the thermostat. Mine had the same issue, after the thermostate was replaced, the temperature showed correctly again.