Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

Hello, I'm new here. Questions on fluids.

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2017, 04:15 PM
Default Hello, I'm new here. Questions on fluids.

Hello, my name is Steven, I just purchased a 1983 mercedes-benz 300d turbo. This is my first Diesel engine. The odometer is broken, so I'm not sure of the mileage.

What I've noticed so far;
The car shifts hard the first one or two(I'm not quite sure if it's one or two), gears going up, and the last one or two going down, (like it takes a dump, just before stopping. I've read this could be a vacumn problem.

The door locks do not move up or down.

There are some small spots of rust, nothing major. There is no rust under the car.

A new radio has been installed and it forgets the channel it was on, each time you start the car.

The tachometer does not work, I think the sensor is gone. (Pictures later)

The green left turn light on the dash, just quite illuminating when making a left turn, although the front and back turn signals do light up, outside the car.

There is no cold air when The a/c is on.

The original are filter has been replaced with I'm not sure if it's a Cold Air Intake or Short Ram Intake. I'll attach an engine picture.

I'm doing a coolant flush right now, the slow way...I drain the radiator, add distilled water, drive for ten minutes, let her cool down and repeat. The first batch of coolant came out green, the next four came out rusty, with the fourth showing a little lighter color. I'll do this until the water comes out clear, then I will add undiluted antifreeze. My online searching has lead me to believe Zerex G-50, is what I need. I'm know there are lots of discussions on coolant. I'm I correct using Zerex G-50?

Next I will do an oil change, I'm sure there is a lot of discussion on this. I am thinking Shell Rotella T6 Synthetic SAE 5w-40 heavy duty Diesel engine oil. I've read it takes 7.9 quarts. The dip stick, does not have any lines indicating "full or add". The oil is the color of a "Sharpie"

Thirdly I'll change the transmission fluid and filter. I haven't read up on the ATF type yet. Any suggestions? I've read 7.7 quarts. She doesn't have a transmission fluid dip stick, which I've read is common.

Other items I plan to do;
Adjust the valves
Change the differential fluid, 2.3 pints fluid type GLS49
New brake fluid type Dot 3 or Dot 4?
New Power steering fluid do I use ATF? What type?
New Fuel Water Separator filter
New Fuel Filter (I think there are two)

Am I missing anything?

Thank you for your help in advance. Bear with me, I'm going to have A LOT of questions, and many of them will be the stupid newbie questions. I'm brand new to car repairs. I started two years ago, when I purchased a 1989 Lincoln Town Car, and decided if I was going to own two cars, I needed to learn how to fix them, and I found I actually like working on them.

Attached Thumbnails Hello, I'm new here. Questions on fluids.-image.jpg  
Old 06-07-2017, 11:36 AM

Thank you for all your help!

Last edited by ForcedInduction; 06-08-2017 at 02:08 PM. Reason: remnoe quote of entire post
Old 06-07-2017, 11:40 AM

About the air intake, so I should remove the short ram and revert back to original? I probably won't find that in my junk yard, there's only one '83 300d there. I'll research if others years will fit, or buy a new one.