Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 07:23 PM
Default fuel pump

New to this forum and to diesel just wondering if there an acumulator or pump prior to the injection pump, seems like the engine is starved for fuel whenI go up a hill, also woulda leak in oneof the return lines cause the system to loose prime.

Thanks for any insight !

Old 02-24-2008, 10:49 AM
Default RE: fuel pump

Thanks, there isn't a leak at the primer pump. So I will try to take out the strainer today. thanks again

Old 02-24-2008, 08:20 PM

I'm stumped, Air is getting into the system somewhere, I have a feeling the your earlier statement about the pump is true. The engine revs in neutral with no problem, car accelerates on a flat, but on thoses hills just starts sputtering and dies, wont start back up for a few minutes. I'm going to bite the bullet and bring it to a mechanic, what upsets me is that I know its probably something simple. Haven't been to one in about ten years, for me it's kinda like going to the dentist.

Old 02-25-2008, 09:22 AM

Sounds like oneof the fuel filters is a strong possibility.
I think you can tell if air is getting into the lines by pumping the primer pump - if there's air you can feel that initially, there is very little resistance to pumping. I'm not sure but I'd think if it's just a blocked filter then air wouldn't be accumulating at the primer pump - but that isn't necessarily true since there could be a tiny leak that would not normallycause a problem if there wasn't a blockage causing excessive negative pressure in the line.
What I'm really saying is, if there is no air at the primer pump then you know it's not an airleak causing the problem, whereas if there is air it may not necessarily mean that a leak is the primary problem.
Also, if air leak is the problem I think that would just cause it to stall when enough air has got in to cause the fuel to lose prime, and would not cause loss of power at high load like you describe - but I'm not sure about that.

I'd try replacing the fuel filters anyway and see how that goes.
________
Honda XLV750R specifications

Last edited by paddo; 02-19-2011 at 02:06 AM.