Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

Emergency brake questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 09:03 AM
Default Emergency brake questions

I am trying to fix the emergency brake on my sons 300DT. If you press hard you can tell one wheel is trying to stop but the other wheel is acting like the cable is frozen or the pads are gone.

I took off the one wheel that seemed to have issues. I removed the caliper and manged to remove the rotor as well after considerable effort with a BFH and a pry bar. The emergency brake pads look OK but the cable connection to the expansion thing seems to be frozen with rust and brake dust. Anyone have a picture of how the expansion is supposed to look like and how it works. I can attempt to unfreeze the part but it would be much easier if the cable were not corroded near the end termination.

Second question related to this is the rotor itself. There is a step in the machined surface for the drum area of the rotor. I just wanted to make sure that the step is expected and no the rotor is not that worn out! The wear on the parts would seem to indicate that the rotor does have a step in it but wanted to make sure.

If I remove the e-brake cable holding bolt wil the cable come out? I can not fro the life if me figure out how the e-brake cable attaches to the metal plate for the brakes. Any advice or pictures would help.