Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

that Diesel sound

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2005, 03:04 PM
Default that Diesel sound

happy new year everyone. and "GO FALCONS"

I have a 1986 300sdl that i call "BIG BABY". it's the 1st diesel i've ever owned and i love the performance. when i first got the car i thought something was wrong because of the sound the engine makes. i spoke with a few Benz Mechanics and they said "if it doesn't make that sound then i should be worried". since then i've learn to appreciate that diesel sound. HOWEVER i still would like it to be just a lil mo quiet. is this diesel sound something i should learn to love or is there a "cheap" way to get the engine queit?

Old 01-04-2005, 05:26 PM
Default RE: that Diesel sound

The are two reasons why I never bought a diesel, no three, 1. they make too much noise for my taste, always sounds loke the valves are coming thru the valve covers, Second, the smell of diesel is no to my liking. Third in the winter if you don't have a block heater or garage them and use anti gel additivies in the fuel they won't start. They have gotten better, I under the new E class diesel is quiet, doesn't smell and doesn't need all the winter care. But they are illegal here in Mass, you can buy one in CT but not in the rest of the New England States. Something abour CARB standards.

The last Mercedes diesel I drove was owned by a friend. It in the late 70's early 80's. All I remember it was a Turbo diesel and was slow as anything until the turbo kicked in and then the performance was OK. But around the city I thought the car was dangerous as it wouldn't get out of its own way.

Old 01-11-2005, 09:51 PM

Mercedes has an "encapulation" system for later diesels and I think there are aftermarket kits for yours.

Other than that they are just loud. An old saying is, "That is the sound of pennies in your pocket."

Sammy

Old 01-11-2005, 10:25 PM
Super Moderator

they call it "fuel knocking"

this happens if the diesel injection quantity is not the same anymore after sometime when springs, valves, and seals inside the injection pump have all lost their ability to retain the original properties.

yes, you can reduce the knocking... CALIBRATION.

calibrate the pump and the noozles. they will replace the kits such as O-rings, etc.

find a workshop that has a BOSCH calibration machine.

Old 01-12-2005, 12:47 AM

If you are able to include a sound clip of your running engine in your post, we can perhaps collectively determine what's wrong with it, (if anything) and what steps you can take.

Phil

Old 01-13-2005, 11:37 PM

Is the hood insulation still on the underside of the hood? Theres a noticable difference although not huge.

Old 01-24-2005, 01:52 AM

I drove 90 HP cdi diesel in .... Ford few years back in Europe. No noise, no smog (I reved it high on cold morning and nothing) clocked it with GPS at 212 kph.
The guy I know from the net in Canada got new 201 HP Merc and makes 42 MPG.
In the mean time we have to deal with old technology, but don't complain. If you want to hear real diesel noise and see real diesel smoke, watch the Detroit 2-cycle in my motorhome. Fortunately the engine is 40 feet behind me, when I drive. [8D]

Old 01-24-2005, 03:50 AM
Super Moderator

was that a truck Kajtek1?

cool!

Old 01-25-2005, 01:29 AM

Bus conversion.
Don't think thy put those Detroits in truck. Not too many trucks have front space for 5 feet tall engine.

Old 02-21-2005, 03:00 PM

I own diesels because I LOVE the sound, and smell, and, as a result, can tolerate 0 - 60 in Five minutes! My wife however...

Those bus engines ARE truck engines, EXCEPT Detroit Diesel had to redesign them so that they run counterclockwise, because they are mounted behind the driving axle. Some of the old 71-series, and 92-series really convert diesel fuel into a lot of coal smoke but the also were notorious consumers of engine oil. Technology has come a long way since then!