Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

diesel Noises help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2006, 09:36 PM
Default diesel Noises help!

Hi my problem if anyone can help, when I start my diesel anytime during the day/night for the first 30 mins on ideal the engine sound so rough, when I rev its ok other than this it sounds like a tractor. Is this normal for a diesel or is there something I can do/change to reduce this noise.

Can anyone help??

C220 cdi, 2002, 49450 miles on clock.

Old 02-27-2006, 07:11 AM
Default RE: diesel Noises help!

hi,

sounds like this is your first diesel?
all that noise is normal. you need to let your engine warm up to full operating temp before you put it under load. if you try to go while its still cold, youll end up blowing out all of your seals and leaking a lot of oil. once its warm it should run fine, which sounds liek what youre describing. try to start it 15 or 20 minutes before you have to leave anywhere, and remember to plug in the block heater at night when the temp is much below 15 degrees farenheit.
keep all this in mind, and that car will last you forever!

Old 03-01-2006, 10:19 PM
Default RE: diesel Noises help!

Hi, thanks for the response on my same post, well it is diesel knock brought it to a professional and he confirmed that it was simply the injectors leaking when they were suppose to be seated... not a big deal, he said to cure it to use the standard treatment of lubro moly diesel purge, there are numerous sites that describe this method of purging your injectors of gook and dirt the link below shows how to do it. The mechanic offered some intresting advice, when you put the two cans of diesel purge in, and the jar, or cylinder you are using is almost empty. He said take a clean container of clean diesel like 12 oz worth and pour this into your jug this will purge the remaining lubro moly from the fuel filter, which was intresting. He says the two cans of lubro moly about one can stays trapped in the filter unless you put more clean diesel behind it to purge it out, so you get the true benifit of using the two cans...
I respect many of the members here but i have never let the car to get it warmed up to drive it away. i have always started the car, and when it is like 20 degrees or less i let it sit maybe 5 minutes, tops and drive away, but i do agree to never ever no matter what kick the turbo in until the engine has warmed up, that is a no no, two reasons.
1) no matter what oil you use, oil flows better when warm, any dirt or crud in the oil line to the turbo bearings with the oil still cold will inhibit some oil flow. With a turbo the more oil the better.
2) injecting massive amounts of fuel and air into a cold engine only serves to cause a higher heat input (btu) into the system before the motor can stretch out with the seals and gaskets.
hope this helps[8D]

http://dieselgiant.com/mercedes_dies...nance_tips.htm