Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

Considering a late 80's 300TD wagon

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 10:56 AM
Default Considering a late 80's 300TD wagon

I am considering my first Mercedes, particularly a late 80's 300TD series wagon. I've been a Volvo guy and have done all major repairs myself but I've never worked on diesels, let alone Mercedes. My questions are for someone with Volvo experience: Comparatively, how does a 300TD stand up to the red block B21 / B23 Volvo engines? Availability and affordability of parts? Is the electrical and non drive train more reliable than Volvo? What is a fair price for this model? Although I've had great luck with Volvos I've heard the diesel Mercedes is a solid rock. Thanks in advance.

Old 08-13-2009, 11:20 PM

Hi I sent you a private message with more details.
I own a 82 Volvo D24 Diesel and an 84 300D Mercedes. Comparing them is clearly an Apple and Oranged comparison. Comparing a Gas Engined Volvo is even a greater stretch to compare. (I have been driving the Volvo since 1992 about 17 years.)
The Volvo weak piont is the Engine which needed overhauling (lot of hazy exhaust smoke) at 148,000 miles. A well maintained Mercedes Engine will easily go over 250,000-300,000 miles.
The interior and paint on the Volvo are shabby and falling apart. In the Mercedes they are clearly used but servicable.
After overhauling the with the exception of the Seal on the Fuel Injection Pump leaking and having replaced 1 clutch and 3 throwout bearings (the Volvo clutch is another weak area) I have done no major work. on the Volvo besides maint stuff. You can also figure on chaiging the Timing belt at the minimum of ever 5 years.
Not a weak link when the Mercedes was new but an old Mercedes with its original rubber mounted suspension is going to have problems in that area.
It is also typical for A/C and the Climatic Controls (which are more complicated) to have more problems than on the simpler Volvo system.
I would have to say the same concerning the Electric Windows. I have had zero problems with the Volvo Electrick Windows. I found that the Rear Window Regulators on my Mecedes were actually twisted out of shape and badly worn.
The Volvo was ment to be a less expensive car to begin with and it is more like the majority of cars of the time period it was made (and less complicated) than the Mercedes.
The Mercedes was designed to be a different Car and is; so it has different strong an weak points when considering an old used one. (Remember I am comparing 2 used cars of similar ages.)
My experience with mine is that it have been more work to fix and I had to learn a lot (and still am learning) of new information very fast; whereas the Volvo being like other Cars did not require the same learning curve.

Last edited by Diesel9112; 08-13-2009 at 11:23 PM.
Old 08-14-2009, 08:57 AM

Thanks for the detailed information. I will start doing my homework as I'm in no rush.

Old 08-18-2009, 02:01 PM

Dear Mr. Smith,
I am moving to France with my french wife for some nine months and would like, do not need to, liberate myself from my lovely wagon. Please feel free to write or call me. laumede@earthlink.net or 651 699 6910

Old 09-04-2009, 10:09 AM

I purchased a 87 300td a couple years ago in good shape w/240000k w/most service records for $3400 (not a great deal but a fair deal) it now has approx. 320,000 and still runs very strong, rides very smooth, I recentley had to replace the starter(easy), rear hydropnuematic shocks (pricey $$) blower motor(pain) and Transmission cooler lines(easy) but beyond that it has been a great vehicle. it hauls 7 people comfortably and safely, or lay all the seats down and haul a 50gal drum of WVO (Probably why I had to replace rear shocks) I have never had a problem getting parts...usually at alleuropeanautoparts.com or ebay.