Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

Change from electric to crank windows?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2013, 09:21 AM
seo
Default Change from electric to crank windows?

Hi, I just posted a question about my 85 300d's vacuum system. I'm guessing that I may wind up taking apart my driver's side door, and am wondering about taking out the electric window, and replace it with the crank window actuator from one of my wrecked 123 sedans. I like being able to open and close all the other windows electrically, but don't mind cranking the driver's side window, and have had electric windows fail, which is a real pain in the neck at toll booths.
I'd appreciate any advice about how complicated a switch this is.
Thanks.
SEO

Old 10-06-2013, 06:36 PM
seo

Originally Posted by ForcedInduction
If they work, why mess with them?
The fact that they haven't failed yet doesn't change the fact that they're 38 years old, and electric gear doesn't last forever, and is more complicated than manual mechanisms. Because I travel cross-country with the car quite a bit, and as far as I'm concerned it's a safety requirement to be able to open the driver's side window. I KNOW that a crank up window will open and close, and if it doesn't I can fix it. If an electric regulator goes kaput, I'm left looking for parts in unfamiliar areas of the country. So I want a crank-up driver's side window.
In the same way, I'd like to figure out a way to replace the "climate control" 1985 system, and replace it with the manual controls from a wrecked '83 123 I own. The automated system is erratic and hard to control, and the repair modules are expensive. But I've looked at a web presentation by someone who did that job, and it involved taking apart a lot of stuff. So for the moment, I'm climate controlled.
SEO