Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

best WVO conversion system

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 11:37 AM
Default best WVO conversion system

Hi to all. I am brand new to this forum and to Diesel/WVO. I recently purchased a MB 300SD with a Greasecar tank and a Lovecraft heat exchanger installed.

I am interested in hearing opinions from those with experience which system is overall best for running WVO. I have done a bit of research and there seems to be some differences of opinion on this. I am particularly interested in Naplesbiofuel, Greasecar and Lovecraft. The issue that concerns me most is getting the WVO to operating tempurature most effectively.

Look forward to hearing your input.

Thanks

Old 05-20-2008, 11:49 AM
Default RE: best WVO conversion system

I hand built my 2 tank system for $320. I have a 9psi electric fuel pump,Stanadyne FM100 5 micron filter,hot plate heat exchanger,injection line heaters. I get 34 mpg on wvo at 80 mph average.Diesel 30 mpg at same speed.I buy my fuel filter and dewatered for $2. a gallon.

Old 05-20-2008, 11:51 AM

I buy my fuel filtered. I store a 150 gals. in case of fuel shortages.I drive 320 miles per week for my job.

Old 05-20-2008, 12:47 PM

I hand built my 2 tank system for $320. I have a 9psi electric fuel pump,Stanadyne FM100 5 micron filter,hot plate heat exchanger,injection line heaters. I get 34 mpg on wvo at 80 mph average.Diesel 30 mpg at same speed.I buy my fuel filter and dewatered for $2. a gallon.

Thanks for the reply. What vehicle are you running that in? Where did you purchase you HPHE? What part # is it?How do you moniter tempuratures?

Old 05-20-2008, 04:48 PM

I bought one off Ebay used.I don't have temp gauges yet,but everything works right.I bought two meat thermometers one on injection line with aluminum heat tape,the other on my hot plate fuel line.I heat the fuel going into the FM100 its still 150 going into lift pump.Line heaters stay maxed out,hot.I then took a 3 way tee and hooked cigar to it a valve at return line,and other line going back to FM100. This lets me loop the system. I'm using main tank for wvo,and ran fuel line extension into trunk where my manual 3 way valve is.One side wvo the other hooked to my small 3 gal purge tank 15 mile purgeis good for me.From valve goes into my 9 psi fuel pump in trunk,to pump back to engine.On a 762 trip I used one gallon diesel. Get it.Carried extra wvo.I get better mileage at higher rpms with wvo 34 mpg.Soon I hope to add electric valves,and nice temp guages.I hate getting out to open trunk and switch fuels.But I'm hoping to get them cheaper.The Pollacks look to be out of plastic,and some guys report them quiting in 90 days.But I will find the solution. 1983 300SD all rebuilt drivetrain,timing chain.293500miles. Sweet will take her anywhere,with no worries. Best mpg diesel 762 miles,get it.

Old 05-20-2008, 09:51 PM

I bought a 300SD 1983 with a greasecar conversion. the coolant goes back to the extra tank (fits in the spare tire recess) and loops through a coper loop to heat the fuel. The fuel line is actually inside a coolant line to the engine bay. there's a spiral of coper tube surounding the fuel filter heated by coolant. However I bought an electrically heated filter since it's much quicker. $100 off ebay and came with a bosch relay. Also bought a temperature controlled switch (200F I think) and strpped it to the metal casing of the filter near the glow plug that heats the fuel. this means it won't over heat, just turns off the glowplug via the relay. Also ran a manual switch into the cab for that relay. It used to run rough until the coolant got hot. But then I checked the glowplugs (the real ones) and 3 were out. Now it runs fine on veg after a few seconds, even in middle of PA winter. However I stil think the electric heated filter is good and the replacement cartridges are cheaper - only about $4 on ebay.
I've been reading that some after market injectors are far superior to the stock ones, especially for veg oil. But it seems to be runing fine. Guess i'll wait and see if the injectors start playing up. Can get a set of Monark nozzles on ebay for $100 which are supposed to be very good - however then have to get them balanced after installing them in injectors which sounds like a PIA.
I also tried running it on used motor oil for about 100 miles and it ran better than with veg oil on the black muck! However I don't want to make a habit of that since ti would proably be a health risk long-term.

________
****** truck

Last edited by paddo; 02-19-2011 at 02:08 AM.
Old 05-21-2008, 08:22 AM

Used Motor Oils and ATF.With fuel at a all time high and rising,I can understand the need to burn these bunker fuels.However until you can build a centifurge to spin the oils clean.leaving behind dirt,metal,and antifreeze( all engine leak a little),you better not run it.
The best thing I did for my conversion was to but fattywagons injection line heaters.
As for my purge tank to save money I run kerosene with Marvel Oil mixed in.Its like lubro Moly Purge everytime I run.I purge at least 10 miles before shut down,and run 10 minutes till line heaters are at 160.
My next step is to build a centifurge and start recycling oils to burn.I live in a state were alternitive fuels are legal.

Old 05-21-2008, 09:33 AM

ORIGINAL: ForcedInduction

ORIGINAL: paddo

What additives are they?
Ask the manufacturer of whatever oil you use.

FAct is I just proved that it burns very well as fuel in my car.
You proved absolutely nothing except you are willing to abuse your engine and injection system.
Ever seen a car burning oil and the nasty blue smoke it makes? You may not see it during the day but get in front of a car's headlights at night and watch them dim in the smoke. Better yet, get in a chase vehicle and watch your exhaust as you have a friend drive your car.

IN what way is it bad for the environment, and what is the evidence?
1: Engine oil is not a fuel, its for lubrication.
2: It does not burn cleanly in an engine not designed to use it.
3: It is illegal since its not approved as an on-road fuel by the EPA.
4: It contains very small metal fragments and contaminates that are harmful to your engine. This is producing waste by shortening your engine's lifespan.

If you want to burn your used oil, donate it to a recycling facility or save it to burn in a waste oil heater for winter.
I was hoping you could provide some actual evidence of it beign harmful to the environment, but no such luck.
many vehicles smoke running ordinary diesel, and my car did not smoke much at all with heated motor oil. An experienced mercedes alt fuel guy told me used motor oil actually burns cleaner than WVO if heated to 160F, and that seemed to be the case in my little experiment. HOwever if not heated enough he said it will be very smoky.

Why is burning it in a furnace less harmful to the environment?
As far as the < 10 micron metal damaging the engine, again I'd be interested in actual evidence - until then it is just theory. I've heard of people using it long-term with no apparent ill effects. I may use this sometimes when on long trips since it is probably more convenient than WVO - eg it is a lot easier to filter and doesn't clog the filter bag with sludge as most Chinese restaurant oil does.

________
Buy glass pipes

Last edited by paddo; 02-19-2011 at 02:11 AM.
Old 05-21-2008, 11:05 AM

It wasn't my intention to fire up the debate on alt fuel types. Just trying to get some info on WVO systems. I am curious however whether any long term studies have been done on effects of WVO on diesel engines. ForcedInductions comments about glycerin area cause for concern. Do any of you proponents of WVO have a response to the glycerin build up issue? Any links to sources with real evidence from either side?

Old 05-21-2008, 04:54 PM

Alot of biodiesel folks get red over wvo.The gyclco, can't spell,can be burn just fine with heat.Biodiesel reaction turns it into gylcerin.
some folk can't store dangerous chemicals due to pets,children and state laws.So running wvo is better for some.I'am careful with my oils,I test for high acid,and add baking soda to bring it down.I taste every batch even with dead things in it,for salt.No dead things yet.
It a matter of taste bio for some wvo for others.As long as we screw those Middle East Oil Barons,and the Stock market investors.

Quick Reply: best WVO conversion system