Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

best WVO conversion system

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 08:08 AM
Default RE: best WVO conversion system

Thats why I buy my oil from the grease vendors.Filtered and dewatered $2. a gal.

Old 05-22-2008, 10:26 AM

I get my oil with permission.

Old 05-22-2008, 12:33 PM

REstaurnats still have to pay to have it taken away here in the NE - due to the cold winters I guess. But looks like that is likely to change soon..
________
Honda Today specifications

Last edited by paddo; 02-19-2011 at 02:11 AM.
Old 05-22-2008, 12:41 PM

ORIGINAL: oldsinner111

Used Motor Oils and ATF.With fuel at a all time high and rising,I can understand the need to burn these bunker fuels.However until you can build a centifurge to spin the oils clean.leaving behind dirt,metal,and antifreeze( all engine leak a little),you better not run it.
The best thing I did for my conversion was to but fattywagons injection line heaters.
As for my purge tank to save money I run kerosene with Marvel Oil mixed in.Its like lubro Moly Purge everytime I run.I purge at least 10 miles before shut down,and run 10 minutes till line heaters are at 160.
My next step is to build a centifurge and start recycling oils to burn.I live in a state were alternitive fuels are legal.
You are really looking after your Mercedes. I am not nearly as good as that but I'll see how long she lasts - only cost $900 with the conversion and it's a rust-bucket.
I'd be interested in how you go with the centrifuge. I know thi sone guy from ebay who is getting a centrifuge - there's a company developing a pretty cheap oen that he's going to get.
the thing about most restaurant oil (at least Chinese) is when you bag filter it there's a hel of a lot of sludge build-up and have to clean them every 5 gallons which is a royal pain. I'm thinking probablythe centrifuge can separate out the sludge which I think is animal fat, from wings aroudn here which are v popular in Ch takeaways, and be much easier to clean.
At present I get all my oil from one fish restaurant. Fish oil being thinner (polyunsaturated) doesn't clog the filters and no doubt burns in the engine.

________
Honda H4 Transmission Specifications

Last edited by paddo; 02-19-2011 at 02:12 AM.
Old 05-23-2008, 02:56 PM

If you run properly de-watered and filtered WVO in a 2 tank system that heats up the oil well enough and switch to the WVO when both the veggie oil AND the engine are warmed up, you will prolong the life of the engine (at least indirect injected diesels). If you dont do ALL of these things, you will shorten the life of your engine, possably by a lot. The hardest part and often most overlooked part is de-watering the oil.

Old 05-23-2008, 08:03 PM

What the best method of dewatering?

Old 05-25-2008, 11:34 AM

Forcedinduction's well considered anti-grease words of caution notwithstanding, let me say a few things about a system used in Germany. The pioneers of Vegetable oil conversion technology (and original inventors of the direct injection diesel engine) Elsbett Technologies - www.elsbett.com - has been pushing VO as a fuel substitute for 30+ years. There are 1 and 2 tank Elsbett systems. 300SD's for example are one tank systems with precision heating devices and specialized fuel injectors made and re-installed to handle Vegetable fuels. There's a coolant temperature sensor triggering additional new relays which activate new, longer run-time glow plugs. There's an electric fuel filter heater. A super efficient heat exchanger.

Most incredible of all, Mercedes, BMW, and VW give full standard manufacturer warranty on diesels shipped to Elsbett for conversion prior to customer delivery. For example, if you were to buy a new MB diesel and requested Elsbett Veggie Conversion you could send your car to Elsbett prior to your taking delivery and once you receive your vehicle a few weeks later it'll be Veggie Fuel ready and under warranty. Sadly, this option is available only in Germany - Elsbett's headquarters. But if you like to take the hit on the Dollar to Euro and are adept at deciphering poorly translated German-to-English installation manuals you can get one of these kits. Installing the electrical on this is not too fun, but the system is certainly an exception to the generally accurate "grease'll kill your car" rule.

One point of significant distinction: .05 MICRON FILTERING RECOMMENDED FOR WVO running Elsbett. A good rule for those of you running crappy domestic hand built kits too.

Old 05-27-2008, 12:00 PM

0.05 micron filter?? ARe you sure you got that right? Not 5 micron? 0.05 micron is extremley fine, that's 50 nanometer, I dont' think you could practically filter used VO to that level, at least not without a centrifuge also. i don't know off-hand, but would imagine 0.05 mc is almost in the range of reverse osmosis - it would filter out not just bacteria but small viruses and probably very large molecules like proteins. Even the oil itself might have trouble getting through!

http://www.cellsalive.com/howbig.htm
________
Volcano review

Last edited by paddo; 02-19-2011 at 02:12 AM.
Old 05-27-2008, 04:57 PM

No, you're part right Paddo - I'm glad you caught it. .5 (Point Five) micron not .05. I put the decimal in the wrong place - oops. Excessively small even VS. greasecar's recommended 5 micron - that's the idea I'm getting at. Alexander from Elsbett told me in person (insert your best heavy German accent here) "Point five micron filtering critical."
I'll admit sometimes I go to 1 micron and have definitely run 5 micron through the system, just to see. But strickly speaking it's .5 WVO or SVO reccommended.

Old 05-27-2008, 08:44 PM

But if you like to take the hit on the Dollar to Euro and are adept at deciphering poorly translated German-to-English installation manuals you can get one of these kits.
Do you know if the individual components can be ordered separately? Can one do this on the internet or is it necessary to call them? I speak/read German fluently.

Quick Reply: best WVO conversion system