Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

Alternator issues with my 87 300 D

Old 06-11-2014, 09:13 AM
Default Alternator issues with my 87 300 D

Hello guys well I just traded my Volvo for this car I ways wanted a 300 D turbo... Well my battery kept draining so I decided to go to Autozone and get my alternator checked it was testing 12.4 under load... So I decided to get another alternator from them it came In later that day so they helped me change out the pulley etc. I went home to install after that heard metal the fan was hitting the alternator come to find out they forgot to put the washer back on and lost that little key thing that goes in by the fan... So I had to take it off take it back and they said they had to give me my money back because they don't have that little thing anymore. I was frustrated so I decided to go the the junk yard I pull one come to find out that was worse then my old one testing at 11.4 so as I am driving home it stalls and dies when it died the abs light and battery light came on and it kept cranking but would die and not I've when has pressed. So I'm asking for opinions will that bad alternator cause the car to stall even if I had some battery juice!!just ordered a Bosch this morning... Any help will be appreciated!

Old 06-11-2014, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Oldskoolbenzo View Post
Hello guys well I just traded my Volvo for this car I ways wanted a 300 D turbo... Well my battery kept draining so I decided to go to Autozone and get my alternator checked it was testing 12.4 under load... So I decided to get another alternator from them it came In later that day so they helped me change out the pulley etc. I went home to install after that heard metal the fan was hitting the alternator come to find out they forgot to put the washer back on and lost that little key thing that goes in by the fan... So I had to take it off take it back and they said they had to give me my money back because they don't have that little thing anymore. I was frustrated so I decided to go the the junk yard I pull one come to find out that was worse then my old one testing at 11.4 so as I am driving home it stalls and dies when it died the abs light and battery light came on and it kept cranking but would die and not I've when has pressed. So I'm asking for opinions will that bad alternator cause the car to stall even if I had some battery juice!!just ordered a Bosch this morning... Any help will be appreciated!
The battery should not have anything to do with the diesel stalling. Sounds like a fuel issue, which will be hard to diagnose with a weak or dead battery. I would check all the filters and fuel lines and if they prove to be o.k., you might have a clogged fuel screen in the tank. Not knowing the condition of the car when you took ownership makes it difficult to get a handle on things. Good luck

Old 06-12-2014, 01:07 PM

Thanks for replying fellas....I got it solved bought a me alternator this morning from Bap -Geon she is running so well now...I love this car!!!