Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

83 turbo dsl problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 04:52 PM
Default 83 turbo dsl problems

Occasionally starts with a rough idle for about 6-8 seconds before calming down. The box ( can't recall what it is) that sits near the radiator with some of the throttle linkage attached to it clacks quite eratically for a short stint when it's cranked. Also having some seepage from the PCV valve and oily coating on air filter (coming from the PCV valve).

Old 05-26-2012, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by 83turbodsl300
Occasionally starts with a rough idle for about 6-8 seconds before calming down. The box ( can't recall what it is) that sits near the radiator with some of the throttle linkage attached to it clacks quite eratically for a short stint when it's cranked. Also having some seepage from the PCV valve and oily coating on air filter (coming from the PCV valve).
As said before it could be a Glow Plug issue. It could also be that you have a small Air leak in your Fuel Inlet Hoses or the Plastic Filter.
You can replace the Hoses with regular 5/16" Fuel Hose that you get at any Auto Parts Store as it is also rated for Diesel Fuel.

I believe the Box you refer to is the Cruise Control. They are know not to work reliably.

I had never owned a Car with a Cruise Control and never felt the need for one so I removed mine. I do not even know if it was working or not.

There is no PCV Valve it is just a Crankcase Ventilation Tube and the Oil is from the Blow-By from you Engine.
If you have a Crankcase Breather Canister made as part of your Air Filter Housing some people have taken the top of the Canister off and sealed the outer edges with Silicone Sealant and have said that worked for them.
Occasionally the Drain Tube for the Canister can get plugged and needs to be cleaned.

Last edited by Diesel9112; 05-26-2012 at 08:22 PM.