Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

'83 240d leaking oil

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 04:24 PM
Default '83 240d leaking oil

I have an '83 240d that is leaking oil like crazy. I am new to working on cars, but my dad is teaching me. He has been fixing our cars since I can remember, and he is stumped also. I was driving and started to smell something burning. I also noticed that the oil pressure was getting a little lower like it does if I forget to check and add oil. I opened the hood and there was oil everywhere. I let it sit for a while so that I could check the oil, and when I did there was just a little left. I added oil, and the pressure went up again until it all sprayed out. My problem is that I can't figure out where it is leaking from. The oil is being caught by the belts and fan, and it is almost impossible to tell where the original leak is. I believe that it is on the right side of the motor, but am not sure. I only have one day off to work on this, and am desperate for any suggestions. I tightened the oil pan, and the pressure got better but the leak was worse. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 07-03-2009, 05:51 PM

Let the engine cool then wash the motor thoroughly. After that, top off the oil and start her up. It should be readily apparent where the leak is. When you have it clean you can also inspect the oil pan gasket for breaks. After they get old or oil soaked, it only takes a little bit of excess tightening to break the gasket.

Old 07-07-2009, 01:58 AM

anniebell455 i had a similar problem it was one of the front motor mount bolts that fell out i would check those if i rember right there is two on each side and on the driver side there is one just above the mount. mine is a 74 i don't know how much different they are but i took the fan sroud off and loosened the belts and i could a rachet in there if i rotated the fan just right good luck i hope it helped