Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

81' 300cd idle trouble

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 06:14 PM
Default 81' 300cd idle trouble

I changed the alternator because of a charging problem, changed the power steering, ac and alternator belts while i was at it. i caught pure hell! in all the pulling and pushing to get belts off and new ones on...
maybe, i disturbed something causing poor idle and shut down... restart and the same... what have i done? prior to belt change she was fine...

are the belt too tight??? any ideals?

next job was to replace tie rods and idle arm bushing and off to the state inspection station I was going... hopefully just a minor set back.

Thanks.

Old 03-03-2011, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by seadog
I changed the alternator because of a charging problem, changed the power steering, ac and alternator belts while i was at it. i caught pure hell! in all the pulling and pushing to get belts off and new ones on...
maybe, i disturbed something causing poor idle and shut down... restart and the same... what have i done? prior to belt change she was fine...

are the belt too tight??? any ideals?

next job was to replace tie rods and idle arm bushing and off to the state inspection station I was going... hopefully just a minor set back.

Thanks.
I am confused.
Terrible idle/runs good at higher speeds stuff about the belts than poor idle and a Shut Down issue.
So you need to elaborate on the shut down problem.

If you had trouble gettting the Belts on and the Alternator Pulley was the same size as the original it may be you have the wrong sized belts. Others have had similar problems.
Some parts sellers will have belts and say they are for a certain year, model and Chassis number; and you need to match you Chassis number to the Belts you need.

I do not know if overly tight belts will have an effect on the idle or not but they can ruin the Alternator and/or Water Pump Bearings.

What is your present Idle Speed. There is a sticker on the Frame Member in front of the Radiator that has the emission info on it. The Idle Speed an other specs are there.

Otherwise the main things that effect you Idle speed are the Fuel Supply and the Injectors.

The 2 pieces of 5/16" fuel inlet Hose bought from any Auto Parts store is rated for diesel fuel and easy to change. That eliminates them as a source of a leak.

If you Hand Primer Pump has a hard White or hard Black Plastic Handle they are often the source of an Air Leak.

Next the Fuel Supply Pump may not be putting out enough pressure or the Pressure Relief/Overflow Valve on the side of the Fuel Injection Pump may not be holding pressure.

There is a test proceedure for that above but you need to make the setup to test the Pump.

If your Engine is not shutting off properly they cause is often a Vacuum Leak some where.

Another thing that effect the idle is if your Crankcase pressure is too high. It will push the Shutoff into the Shutoff direction. Clean out your Crankcase Breather tubings.

Old 03-05-2011, 02:43 PM

Diesel9112,

After further checking... There is a fuel leak at the fuel hand pump. i hand cranked the **** a bit and no luck. i'm getting a drip about every 40 seconds.

the nuts to the left and right appear to be the source of a possible leak as well...

i don't want to do anything to make this situation worst...

I need tech guidance soonest on this one...

would a leak here cause the car to idle/run poorly?

standing by... thanks seadog.