Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

240D recommended oil / engine cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 08:06 PM
Default 240D recommended oil / engine cleaning

Hello! I look forward to some good info on this post.

First, I just bought a 1982 240D with 313K on the clock. It runs strong but the oil was not good looking at all when I checked it. For $800 what can you expect. I already am in love with this car and don't want it to die on me. What grade of oil should I use? Should I stick with the non-synthetic stuff to avoid oil leaks?

Because the oil is so bad looking, should I change it every 1000 miles or so until it gets better? Some people have told me not to use additives due to the potential for serious damage. Thanks in advance to everyone who understands how badly I want this car to survive.

Old 05-20-2008, 02:02 PM
Default RE: 240D recommended oil / engine cleaning

Irun name brand 15W-40 dino oil like Delvac or Rotella with outstanding results.My car has 275K miles and the bottom end is still pretty tight. ForcedInduction is absolutely correct - you can change your oil and filter 5 times in a row and it will be pitch black again after 15 minutes of running time. This is just the nature of diesel engines and it is totally normal and expected.

If you can see clear to spend the extra $$ on synthetic oil for a car you only paid $800 for then go for it. It won't make any noticible difference with the exception of an extended drain interval. Regardless of what oil you chooseI wouldn't recommendgoinglonger than 5K miles between oilchanges. If you want to save some time and money you can change the oil filter every second time - just make sure to use an excellentquality filter like Wix or Amsoil.

Your engine is certain to be usingoil so be sure to check the dipstick every single time you fuel up. Cheap insurance for your new ride. Welcome to the world of M-B diesel ownership.