Wheels/Tires Need custom rims? Have a tire question? Come in and let's talk.

Where's the best place to buy tires?

Old 11-29-2008, 11:24 PM
Super Moderator
Default Where's the best place to buy tires?

Looking to buy two 245/35/18 for front tires, but don't know what brand and where to get. Rears are going to be Goodyear. Where do you guys buy yours?

Old 12-27-2008, 07:42 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Where's the best place to buy tires?

I will say it is a total toss-up.
Tire stores: sometimes they do a great job or they ruin your rims, regardless of store.
Tires: Sometimes you get perfect ones, sometimes you get them with road-force issues.
Online order: sometimes perfect, sometimes damaged.
Brands: Sticking to the same brand doesn't guarantee success either.

It seems like every tire change is an individual challenge.
I think referrals from other particular car lovers in your area is the best bet for finding a good shop, even if they charge more. Lately I have the best luck with privately owned independent tire shops, where the owner shows up to work everyday, and takes pride in his business and YOUR car.

Your brand will likey be limited by the tire size you choose, given that some brands do not make all sizes. Currently some of thecheap discount tires are having huge safety issues you should be aware of and you should search a cheap tire brand before you buy it; you may be shocked. Be aware of the treadwear rating you are getting. In my opinion anything under 220 is rediculous, 400 is great for high mileage. Sport driving tires will always be softer and have lower treadwear. Goodyear makes great tires, as well as Michelin for MBs. I have mixed feelings about Pirellis; they are very purpose built, and too often people put real racing tires on their car and realize they are not made for daily driving. P600s and Neros seem to be good for street use, but the sizes are limited.

No matter what tire you buy....please go to a shop that has a (road-force) testing machine, and ask them to use it. Somehow, likely due to economic pressures, bad tires of every brand are leaking out into the market. Tires with roadforce defects can be perfectly balanced yet will still shake your car and ruin the ride and shocks. Balance is not the arguement; you can dynamically balance a hammer, but that doesnt make it round. Roundness is the issue; roadforce testing measures the impact of out-of-round condition. You will recognize a roadforce issue by shaking or bouncing over 35 mph even while the tire has a perfect balance reading. An out of round tire can be ground to roundness, if you feel like loosing some tread and accepting a reworkeddefecting tire.

There used to be an awesome, unbeatable, real racing shop here in town. Once a year I would get the tires trued and balanced, rotors turned and balanced, yes large brake rotors need to be rebalanced, and my cars were always silky smooth, better ever than new, better than the dealer or any tire shop. Good luck finding another shop like that.

AMG, did you ever get your 190?