Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes here. Keep it clean.

You guys with GPS be awared!

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2006 | 11:59 AM
Default RE: You guys with GPS be awared!

LoJack is a stolen vehicle recovery system. Cops, who need a LoJack receiver, can track a stolen car when the Lojack is activated. The owner activates the system by calling the LoJack folks and telling them the car has been stolen.

I'm not sure what you mean the VIN would tell me. Tell me what?

Old 02-09-2006 | 12:52 PM
Super Moderator

Lets go one better.

The state of Oregon is currently studying inovative ways to incorporate a gps device for all vehicles which records actual mileage driven so that the state can collect taxes on the distance you drive, rather then from fuel sales.

You would purchase this device, plug it into your vehicle, and be recorded for tax collection at each fuel stop. Also, they would be able to disable your vehicle if taxes are not paid voluntarily. The government says the reason for this new taxing system is that vehicles are getting too many miles to the gallon (a problem?) so revenue is paid more by some drivers and not fairly by all drivers. Balancing road miles driven with a use tax rather than punishing high fuel users with the major tax load. Is this fair? or just intrusive?

Old 02-09-2006 | 02:08 PM

Those sorts of things are being discussed for OBDIII and IV, so all cars will have them. If your vehicle produces too much dirty air, for example, the EPA could turn your car off by satellite until it gets repaired. If you don't pay state or county taxes, the state could turn it off until you pay up. Cops pursuing you could turn your car off. Your insurance company could download your driving habits.

Makes me want to go back to riding horses.

Old 02-09-2006 | 02:38 PM

I suppose all GPS units work the same, in that they need 3 satelltes to calculate a 2D position and 4 or more for a 3D position.

Companies have come up with schemes to compensate for those times when only 1 or 2 satellites are available. They do the same thing differently, but it's something like it uses a magnetic compass and the cars ECU to get speed, steering angles, and transmission gear selection. Garmin calls their scheme "dead reckoning."

There is also a sys called WAAS for city driving. Tall buildings block GPS signals, so a tower(s) is built which acts like a satellite and feeds signals to GPS units. Some GPS units are WAAS-enabled.

This is all non-technical info, BTW, like I needed to say that... but maybe I did. We'll see.

Old 02-09-2006 | 04:34 PM
Super Moderator

Is George Orwell's 1984 coming true? If it comes to it i will build my own car or just keep buying old cars. BTW lugnut your Corvette has a "Blackbox" that records your speeds and if your car goes over redline. Its not right i don't want something i own telling the gov't what i have been doing.

Old 02-09-2006 | 05:05 PM
Super Moderator

My guess is that government owned vehicles would be exempt. Conveniently, the Oregon state EPA has exempted Marion county from vehicle emission testing which is where the state capital is located. It would seem the noble class gets a pass.

Horses?

Hay tax, oats tax, leather tax, Farrier tax, rope tax, hitching post tax, road apple tax, foul emissions air quality tax, equine vaccine tax, water tax, taxes-taxes-taxes... and they will probably figure out how to "install" a gps on your cowboy hat. I say "kill all the horses and the revenue agents that ride 'um". Ye ha!

Old 02-09-2006 | 05:34 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: BikerDrew

Lets go one better.

The state of Oregon is currently studying inovative ways to incorporate a gps device for all vehicles which records actual mileage driven so that the state can collect taxes on the distance you drive, rather then from fuel sales.

You would purchase this device, plug it into your vehicle, and be recorded for tax collection at each fuel stop. Also, they would be able to disable your vehicle if taxes are not paid voluntarily. The government says the reason for this new taxing system is that vehicles are getting too many miles to the gallon (a problem?) so revenue is paid more by some drivers and not fairly by all drivers. Balancing road miles driven with a use tax rather than punishing high fuel users with the major tax load. Is this fair? or just intrusive?
It would seem to be fair cause true the people with higher fuel mileage cars do get to drive farther for the amount of tax they pay but its too intrusive my 560 gets 15mpg or i could drive something that gets 30 mpg in which i get twice as far on the same amount of tax but when this car sold new the orignal buyer had to pay a gas guzzler tax? So maybe we need a gas sipper tax instead of a guzzler tax? Yet why do people that buy hybrids get a tax write off?

Also what if u need ur car in an emergency and u forgot to pay ur taxes? Say for instance ur in a parking garge and a someone tries to rob u u start running and get to ur car and it wont start the government shut it off? So u get murdered well how much u wanna bet ur family won't be suing the government for wrongful death. Well there went alot of the tax revene.

I am 100% against the intrusion of them putting sensors in my car!!! I own it u stay away from it.

I believe the Constitution says something about property rights and Unreasonable search ie how many miles does he drive? Seems unreasonable to me.

Also once they get the chips inside the car that is just one step closer to them implanting chips in us.

Old 02-09-2006 | 07:17 PM

There's a five-second recording loop that's affectionately called the "black box" in the Corvette. It's supposed to record crash data and be available to GM for their research. It records speed and brake application. It turns off automatically... when you crash into something. Other cars have the black box too.

Old 02-09-2006 | 07:21 PM

Horses? ...
That may be, but it will take many years to establish all of those taxes. They didn't all just pop up one day for cars either. So, I'll ride the horse for a few years then switch to something else when all the horse taxes are enacted. I'll switch to water buffalo, or something. Maybe a kangaroo.

Old 02-09-2006 | 07:35 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah my mom's Buick had it also. Toyota has it also.

Quick Reply: You guys with GPS be awared!