Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes here. Keep it clean.

Would any of you guys buy a salvaged car?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2006, 02:48 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Would any of you guys buy a salvaged car?

ORIGINAL: AMGMercedes

Export cars to China will make 45%? What a profit!
yes.

only foreigners who are working in foreign joint venture company can import. local people are not allowed.

my company use to import few second hand cars using my name. i only get $500 each time.

Old 12-09-2006, 10:58 AM

Hi guys -

I feel i need to reopen this thread again, i'm kinda in same situation where i see a nice C230K 2004 sweet water damage, back in 2005, however back then it didn't cost much to fix, and more over its current owner has been driving it for more than a year which - i see - as a positive signs, now i have 2 questions
- This car has a 'rebuilt title' from the state of florida, i live in Los angeles CA, does anyone know how this is treated in CA, can it be clear again

- The car is for at an attractive price, but can the sweet water damage have any long term effects (the current owner have been driving it for a year now and 10k miles with no problems (or so he claims).

- Can an insurance company give a water damage title to a car that is not (without doing enough investigation

Thanks a lot

Old 12-09-2006, 12:29 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: washoor

i live in Los angeles CA, does anyone know how this is treated in CA, can it be clear again

- Can an insurance company give a water damage title to a car that is not (without doing enough investigation
Call your insurance agent, give them the exact VIN and ask them to check it out for you before you buy it. I really think you are opening yourself up to a fraud charge. Why be dishonest? buy the car if you like it (and can insure it) and disclose issues to the buyer when you sell it. you will sleep better.

Old 12-09-2006, 12:57 PM

Hi ..

I'm sorry BikerDrew if i didn't clarify, actually i was referring to the first case when the car was investigated (when the water damage occured) .. the seller is saying the state farm declared the car total loss automatically even though the car had nothing wrong with it (or minimum problems) .. so my quesiton was .. is this normal or usually insurance companies perform exhustive investigation before decalring a car a total loss

Old 12-09-2006, 10:00 PM
Super Moderator

In general, when an adjuster looks at a vehicle to prepare a repair estimate, they will total a vehicle if to repair costs are too high relative to value, or repairs will create an unsafe condition. Each adjuster has their own criteria, so one person may get the car repaired and another may junk it. Maybe DMV can run the VIN or you could use CARFAX and see what the public records show. If the car was ever totaled by an insurance company, you most likely will never get a non-salvage title. This helps keep chop shop vehicles off the road. Your insurance company probably will not insure it, unless they have some certification criteria that you can meet. Better ask around. Start with your insurance company rep.

You stated this vehicle has a "rebuilt" title which will be transfered to any state unless you can prove the information is incorrect. Good luck. Ask yourself if all this is worth the trouble? The posibility exists that you be out lots of money in unknown future repairs, safety upgrades, a voided insurance policy, or worse.

Why is the owner selling it cheap anyway? Hum...don't get taken.

Old 12-10-2006, 01:36 AM

asked my insurance, they will insure it , and they don't look at the title, if they need , they will ask me to bring the car for inspection which is fine, the issue you brought up is very valid, not sure how DMV in california will aknowledge the 'rebuilt' title, somehow i see FL gave a nicer name ti 'salvage' since they had too many water-damaged vehicles.. hope someone with DMV experience can help me with that one , it would be perfect if DMV inspect the car and grant it a roadworthy 'clear' title if it passes, and to answer your question Yes, it has been totaled by state farm as total loss, but brought back again as a 'rebuikt' after being tested in FL DMV

appreciate the help

Old 12-10-2006, 02:18 PM

to follow up .. to get a sweet deal on this car , how much do u think i should offer? (i m looking for a way ro appraise a salvage), to reduce the risk if anything was wrong was the car

Old 12-10-2006, 11:34 PM
Super Moderator

Sounds like you are doing your homework and finding good news. Look at Edmond's and Kelly Blues book web sites. Punch in the particulars about this car. Look at what your seller would get if he traded it in at a dealer ( this is a wholesale price). For example, I am currently selling a 2002 Ford Explorer Sport with 109000 miles. KBB says with the equipment package it has, It would retail at a dealership for about $9300 and I've seen ads for them at $11,500. So, If I look at selling it myself to a private party, I could expect near $8300. If I take it to a dealership and trade it in on a new car, then it is worth $5800 or so.

My car has a clean, one owner, no accident title. With your car, you may look at it this way. Offer 75-80% of that low trade in number. A dealership would offer about 50% for that salvaged vehicle since they are so hard to sell. You can see why.

Get back to us on the numbers (asking price and researched value) you find and we will help you.

Old 12-10-2006, 11:47 PM
Super Moderator

Hey Drew list it in the Forsale section!

Old 12-11-2006, 12:17 AM
Super Moderator

But it is a Ford?!

Quick Reply: Would any of you guys buy a salvaged car?