Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes here. Keep it clean.

What Are You Getting For Xmas?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2005, 09:43 PM
Default RE: What Are You Getting For Xmas?

It's pretty much cook or starve around these parts. I do a little of both actually.....

Old 12-12-2005, 11:45 PM

I was thinking you should be a classically trained chef to deserve a $37K kitchen.

Cook or starve? Aren't you in the Phoenix suburbs? As I recall, there are some fine eating establishments there. I don't remember any of them by name (been 25 years or so), but I remember gaining a few pounds after spending three months in Phoenix with a meals and lodging expense account.

Old 12-13-2005, 12:43 AM

A small mountain range separates Fountain Hills from Scottsdale, and the mountains and Scottsdale are between me and Phoenix. There are plenty of fine dining establishments in Scottsdale, say 25 - 40 minutes away, but who wants to drive that far to eat on a regular basis? When I lived in Phoenix, I had every junk food place imaginable within 5 or 10 minutes of my home. Here, there's a Burger King and a Subway, and that gets old in a hurry. Bottom line is I really do need to cook.

Kitchen remodel includes a slate floor, dark oak cabinets, black granite counter tops, and all new appliances, sink, etc. IOW, completely gutting it and starting over. It'll great when it's finished, but hell getting there...

Old 12-13-2005, 01:08 AM

Sounds nice. That floor should feel good on your bare feet in the summer while you're slaving over the hot stove.

I like cooking for myself. When I get in a rut of eating out I gain weight really fast. I cook the same foods at home and lose weight. I guess it's from better control of fats and salt. I sure as heck don't diet or eat diet foods. I eat all the good tasting stuff and go through a lot of extra virgin olive oil and Kosher salt. I deep fry, pan fry, grill, the whole nine yards. No low-fat crap at my house.

Old 12-13-2005, 01:41 AM
Super Moderator

i got myself 2 new sweaters already.

got it packed and placed under my xmas tree.

sometimes i look at it and pretend to wonder what might it would be.

Old 12-13-2005, 01:52 AM
Super Moderator

I did a kitchen remodel for a couple five years ago which cost them...$81,000. Steam heated granite flooring with matching granite on the backsplashes, cherry cabinetry (a friend of mine built the cabs, there were over forty cabinets in various sizes and uses), full custom stainless steel counter tops, Viking appliances (the cheap ones). The remodel included a room addition, new walls, structure, roofing structure and glazing. The customer had a decorator who was a battle axe with an ego bigger than mine.

I am not into Christmas in the sence of shopping and giving any more. I enjoy the spiritual part of the holidays and gettin together with my friends.

Old 12-13-2005, 12:38 PM

I believe it -- it's bizarre what you can spend on a kitchen. I'm sure my remodel could have cost two or three times as much if I really wanted to go all out. I skimped on cabinetry (basic no-frills oak) and appliances (middle-of-the-road rather than high-end). You could spend $8 - $10K on a refrigerator alone!

Old 12-13-2005, 09:35 PM

i got myself PS2 slim...

Old 12-14-2005, 12:41 AM
Super Moderator

Thee REAL benefit to remodeling is creating the space you want to work and live in. How much you spend is up to you. Most people I know with "high end" kitchens don't even cook in them. Please enjoy yours!

Old 12-14-2005, 12:46 AM

ORIGINAL: Patrick

come on..certainly you dont have problems finding a guy to give you a massage...

Um, finding one that doesn't want anything sexual in return...yes, I have problems finding one. Plus, no massage is as good as a professional massage!

Quick Reply: What Are You Getting For Xmas?