Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes here. Keep it clean.

Suckin' It Up

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2005, 12:41 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Suckin' It Up

Supply and demand is simple. I was looking deeper at the political issues. I am just suspicious that way.

Old 08-31-2005, 12:58 AM

Suspicious, eh? Well, let's think for a moment. Who in this country is in a position to assure that gasoline prices rise dramatically over a few brief years, and at the same time, to profit enormously from that increase. Now I'm not the suspicious type myself, so I can't really put my finger on it...

Old 08-31-2005, 01:28 AM

I have the answer for you. The Bush family just finished developing the super-duper-mega-pooper-hurricane-generating-Texas-sized Goober Gun. Since they were running short of cash, they decided to use it to raise gas prices to their benefit by aiming a hurricane at the Gulf of Mexico.

In recent years, the same Bush family has been busy causing global warming to such a degree that it would coincide with the firing of the Goober Gun to magnify the hurricane damage to some higher degree.

Is that about right, Goober?

Old 08-31-2005, 01:36 AM

Well, I don't know about that, since I'm not the suspicious type, but a Muslim fellow on another forum swears it was caused by the wrath of Allah. Personally, I want to promote a WWF-style God/Allah cage match for pay-per-view. I'm pretty sure Haliburton would be willing to sponsor the event. What do you think the Vegas bookmakers would do with that one?

Old 08-31-2005, 01:49 AM

If it were a tag team match with Cheney/God v. Osama/Allah, I'd bet on the Cheney team. I think Cheney eats buses and third world countries for breakfast, then picks his teeth with small children.

Old 08-31-2005, 01:53 AM

GAS SCARE HITS ATLANTA
Tue Aug 2005 30 22:23:23 ET

Metro Atlanta drivers are facing the possibility of paying considerably more than $3 a gallon for gas by Labor Day -- if they can get it at all, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution is reporting Wednesday.

The two pipelines that bring gasoline and jet fuel to the region are down -- powerless to pump as Hurricane Katrina wreaked havoc on electrical infrastructure.

The metro Atlanta region generally has about a 10-day supply of gasoline in inventory, said BP spokesman Michael Kumpf. The pipelines have been down for two days.

Alpharetta, Ga.-based Colonial Pipeline Co., cut off from its suppliers on the Gulf Coast, is now pumping gas from huge storage tanks, many in Powder Springs, Ga. Whether electric power can be restored to the pipeline pumps before supplies run out is "the great uncertainty ... that hangs over all of us," said Daniel Moenter, a spokesman for Marathon Ashland Petroleum, a major supplier of metro Atlanta's fuel.
Dayem. We usually have the lowest prices in the country. Not anymore. Not for awhile, anyway.

Old 08-31-2005, 01:53 PM
Administrator

well, from what ive seen, it doesnt matter what happens where...fuel prices spike...there could be an epidemic of the plague in africa, and the oil industry would come up with some excuse to spike prices...

Old 08-31-2005, 01:59 PM
Super Moderator

OPEC will make most of the money with high prices provided our currency does not deflate further.

Old 08-31-2005, 02:24 PM

After further thought, I believe we're talking about two different things.

Day to day price fluctuations are manipulated by oil producers' decisions on how much crude to put on the global market. I agree these prices can be spurious.

When a catastrophe occurs (manmade or natural) that reduces the available supply significantly, and 30% is significant, then prices will rise due to a supply shortage. We either need to reduce our consumption, which would keep the prices low, possibly unchanged, or pay higher prices.

There are two things that will certainly mitigate the situation by filling at least part of the gap. Saudi Arabia agreed to increase production and the President is allowing oil companies here to "borrow" from our petroleum preserves. How much and when we feel the benefits of these I don't know.

Old 08-31-2005, 02:40 PM
Super Moderator

I agree. Our reactions to to the situation and cooperation with business partners will significantly effect both long and short term pricing. We could reduce our demand. We should ask China and others to do the same. The lower demand will reduce presure on supply in the short term. Business must look at more stable energy resouces. Perhaps form this kaos industry will take that more seriously.