Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes here. Keep it clean.

MERCEDES TECHNICIAN

Old 08-11-2008, 03:32 PM
Default MERCEDES TECHNICIAN

HELLO EVERYONE,

I WAS WONDERING IF ANYONE KNEW HOW MUCH MERCEDES TECHNICIANS MAKE PER YEAR, EITHER STARTING OUT OR AVERAGE PAY? THANKS.

Old 08-12-2008, 02:08 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: MERCEDES TECHNICIAN

when i was a technician, i make $48k every year.

Old 08-12-2008, 09:46 AM

THANKS FOR THE REPLY. I AM GOING TO SCHOOL FOR AUTOMOTIVE AND THE GOING TO TRY TO GET SIGNED UP IN THE ELITE MERCEDES TRAINING CLASSES. WAS THIS YOUR AVERAGE PAY AND FOR HOW MANY YEARS WERE YOU A TECHNICIAN? THANKS.

Old 09-18-2008, 11:49 PM

I recommend that you look into another career if you are focused on money. I have been with MB since 2001 after graduating Elite and am currently listed as ASE Master and Mercedes Benz Master certified. I am currently 26 years old, started off making 26k/yr as an apprentice technician/tech-in-training. I currently earn 55-60k/yr and earn every penny. It is different for everybody unfortunately, working with Elite grads from '99 that make likely around 30-40k/yr. It is all dependent on the type of work/efficiency/rate. I am categorized as an "A" tech which means generally that I specialize in diagnostics and my work load will consist of diagnostic work rather than general maintenance. Unfortunately, the wages have been at a bit of a standstill in my region but fluctuates based on where you go. I have heard that areas of the North pay well because techs are/were in high demand. California pays well to compensate for living costs too. I would not expect you to make more than 10-12/hr out of school. In this industry, you will find that new dealers offer new money and opportunities. Once you have credentials and 3-5 yrs under your belt, start shopping around for a new job if you are capped out. Employers are not competing for Elite techs despite what you may be told. They want experience because mistakes cost money and there have been many bad examples of bad elite techs. I honestly would say that 2/5 make it the first 1-2 years. It is hard work, even today being more experienced. You have to be conditioned to take a mental and physical beating every day. But now that I've said this, don't think that I am hating life. I love my job(not my employer), love what I do, and enjoy the diversity and new challenges that present themselves every day. You have to just keep on your "A" game at all times and read a lot! There is so much to learn! Just know too that the European cars are 10 years ahead of the Americans so you can always fall back on that if Mercedes does not catch your fancy. OK, I'm done with my story. Let me know if you need any info in the future regarding training, jobs, etc. Good luck!

Old 11-07-2008, 10:19 AM

Hey I'm new on this forum. I am also an elite graduate. Where do you work (state). I'm resently moved from Boston,MA to ft.lauderdale,FL. I want to be in South Florida anyway, but they also told that there where position available down here and when I got here no one was hiring. The Service Manager liked me though and got me a job valeting cars at his dealership. Should look into another career, because honestly I took the elite program because I like the cars. If I can't afford one working for them then I guess I'll find something else to do.

Old 11-08-2008, 07:26 AM

I also am a Mercedes Elite graduate from 2001. Ive been at my same dealer for almost 8 years and I started at $15/ hour.My income increases a few thousand every year but last year i lost$8000 due to it being really slow.you can go down to other states like Florida and California that may pay more like $20 to start but it all depends on demand. at the dealer where i work there are techs that make up to $30/hour flat rate. Becareful where you choose to work because some shops are small with 10 techs and some in California have 60 techs and times are slow and then there is not enough work to go around then your screwed. some shops offer incentives depending on the hours you turn. also some offer a 40 hour guarantee.. some dealers will also pay for your tech school training after youve been there for a few years. i really enjoy my job and dont mind getting up and going to work but i will tell you that these cars are very complicated and you will be diagnosing and doing alot of free **** sometimes. I do so many things for free that Benz wont pay me for, it gets very frustrating at times.There are issues with work dispatch also, some guys getting all the easy money making jobs andothers gettin screwed all the time with warranty work and such.you want to try to get a dealer thats in a richer area that has more money and people to, but you dont want to go to a huge dealer either because there are too many mouths to feed. If you do become a Benz tech though its usually pretty easy to get a job with any car manufacturer out there because Benzes are so complex. good luck.

Old 12-25-2008, 04:59 PM

The money is in owning the service center. Most locations are leased long term from the property owner. I was in leased commercial real estate & somewhat familiar with it. It was an investment for me. I no longer have any commerical property. The owner usually makes about as much as all of the techs totaled.

Old 01-05-2012, 10:29 AM
Default Hard work! Working for free?

I have been an mb tech 14yrs.
Master/maybach trained.
Ever since 07 Mercedes techs are making less and less money.
Xentry came out and made life very difficult.
Your hourly wage means nothing!
If your making 35 hr working a hard day@ 8hrs
And only producing 4-5 hrs. That's not 35hr!!
There are a alot of issues with xentry and op codes that are incorrect for doing the job correctly..ie: tire psi.. Big issue with mb..
But mb doesn't really pay you for again
Doing the job correctly .. Unless mbusa makes a 180 turn
And pay us salary 8 hrs/40. Don't waste your years and dedication
Working on these vehicles..maybach is being discontinued
And mb is in an over all market share decline..

Good luck