Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes here. Keep it clean.

Gun in car

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 07:12 PM
Default RE: Gun in car

ORIGINAL: RockSolid

I was assuming that people who believed in god were also a bit brain dead because of religion
Ok, I get you're analogy-religion kills (or deadens) peoples intellect. It certainly can, if one thinks that being religious means checking one's brain at the church door. However, no serious religionist believes that.
Here is a short list of "brain dead" religionists:
Nicholas Copernicus (1473-1543)
Sir Fancis Bacon (1561-1627)
Johannes Kepler (1571-1630)
Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)
Rene Descartes (1596-1650)
Isaac Newton (1642-1727)
Robert Boyle (1791-1867)
Michael Faraday (1791-1867)
Gregor Mendel (1822-1884)
William Thomson Kelvin (1824-1907)
Max Planck (1858-1947)
Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

I don't mind being associated with those folks- if only through a common belief in a supreme being.

Here's something for you to chew on. Atheism couldn't exist without theism. (Just as anaerobic makes no sense without aerobic)
So many atheist I run into, spend so much time thinking about why an all-powerful, all-knowing, personal God doesn't exist. Some seem obsessed with with the thought. They are often passionately opposed to the activities of religious people. People who, according to them, are deluded. Frankly, I spend no time thinking about, or trying to debunk, the fantasies of deluded people. I mean, reality does a pretty good job of that.

BTW, I choose to be a theist. I certainly understand one can make a rational argument for a universe without meaning, but I remain unpersuaded.
One of my favorite sayings:
Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind.
- Albert Einstein
Einstein was an atheist for sure. I suspect that most of the other people on your list...if they lived today...would not believe in god. In the 21st century only the ignorant believe in god.

Old 08-21-2006, 09:29 PM
Super Moderator

I would not go as far as to say they are ignorant but i cant believe in what they believe in or any higher "being" as far as that goes.

Old 08-21-2006, 10:16 PM

I guess that they just have a childish belief in god. They are a simple people. Kind but dumb.

Old 08-21-2006, 10:38 PM

Einstein was an atheist for sure
No, he wasn't. He was a theist.
"God doesn't play dice with the universe"-- Albert Einstein.
"God may be subtle, but He isn't plain mean." -- Albert Einstein

It’s pure wishful thinking on your part to believe famous scientists of yesteryear would not believe in God today. This is especially so because of advances in the field of astrophysics. Many astrophysicists believe in a supreme being (a list will be forthcoming) and they have good reason too. The Hot Big Bang theory, along with the theory of Generally Relativity (Mr. Einstein again) are perhaps the most tested and proven theories in science. The theory predicts that the universe, matter and time, had a point of origin approx. 13.6 billion years ago: a singularity. Furthermore, the space-time theorem of general relativity (Hawking, Ellis and Penrose) further predict that, well....."stuff didn't make stuff." In other words, matter and time sprung from nothing.
As repugnant an idea as that is for a materialist, ie atheist, to ponder, many scientists accept the obvious implication that the origin of the universe was a "creation" event : creation because things came into existence that did not exist before.

So, Einstein did believe in God. Who really knows what scientists of old would believe today, however the theories proposed by these scientists with "deadened brain activity due to religion" are still believed by scientists today. And, science is not an enemy of faith.

Gee, do you want to start talking about biological evolution?

Old 08-21-2006, 11:07 PM

I sure am glad I live in the USA..................
Pusher....

Old 08-22-2006, 12:20 AM

I do not wish to start a debate about the merits or demerits of other countries but I don't think I would like to live where the members of a society are so distrustful or paranoid about each other they feel they must be in a constant state of armed preparedness.To be on guard against an outside influence,or invader,yes.Only a fool would do otherwise.Having said that,I thank God,or his wife,that I was too young for the last war and too old for the next one.
John.

Old 08-22-2006, 12:28 AM

ORIGINAL: corkscrew

In the 21st century only the ignorant believe in god.
Wow...I'd like to be a fly on the wall come the end of your days. How do you want your steak? Burnt beyond recognition? Or vaporized?[sm=badbadbad.gif]

Old 08-22-2006, 05:23 PM

I carried a weapon legally ( with a permit) for many years when my work took me in high risk situations. I would never carry a gun under a seat, as it would tend to cause damage to a fine firearm. Now I only carry when the situation demands access to deadly force. Since the advent of cell phones, it is much easier to call police and drive to a local police station if you are being harassed by another driver. I am considered an expert with arms, according to various agencies, and have had to hold people at gunpoint on several occasions- grand theft, breaking and entering and assault with a deadly weapon. Fortunately I haven't had to take a life in civillian life, since I know how that feels from military experience. Having a weapon did allow me to control three armed felons who certainly would not have stayed still and waited for the police to arrive if they didn't have a cosked 44mag pointed at them. After I got them on the ground and took their ID's, one jumped up and ran, but I did not fire on him. The police surveilled his house and watched him run in and jump into bed, arresting him peacefully at home. The officer questioned why I didn't shoot him, since it was justified in his mind. I felt that there was no need to kill an 18 year old for grand theft. He and his friends were caught with booty from numerous other robberies and car thefts. Having a weapon and proper training allowed me to control the situation and decide how to end it. Running around with a gun under you seat and no training is just as criminal as any of the crimes you might be thinking you are going to prevent. Get training and proper permits before you try carrying a deadly weapon.

Old 08-23-2006, 02:02 AM
Super Moderator

Fortunately the lawmakers in Massachusetts realize that there is no legitimate reason to have a pistol in Mass.
I agree. If your family is sleeping at home and some turd breaks into your house, it's better for your family to be slaughtered with a gun that was smuggled into that area and not to defend yourself. With that smuggled gun, it's better that the ballistics can't be tracked either. It also wouldn't frighten criminals into realizing people are armed and it wouldn't lower theft rates. Pardon my sarcasm. lol

There fore we have extremely tough gun laws, however that doesn t help a whole lot.
That's a tough one... ?

In MD, you can't carry a gun on you or in the car period unless you're a cop or have a license to either hunt.

Old 08-23-2006, 09:58 AM
Super Moderator

You can carry a hand gun as long as it is unloaded and in some kind of a case. And u can carry a long gun loaded or not as long as it is visible or unloaded in a case.

Quick Reply: Gun in car