Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes here. Keep it clean.

Damn Income Taxes!

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2006, 10:29 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Damn Income Taxes!

I sincerely hope that was "go to hell , your highness".

Poor Lugnut would have to pay a gift tax if he sends you something too valuable.

Old 03-17-2006, 10:42 PM
Super Moderator

even the gift got taxes too? that's ridiculous.

in philippines, i only pay about US$10 yearly... that's all.

Old 03-17-2006, 10:57 PM

There's an exemption on gift taxes for gifts up to $11,000 value per year. If I sent you the Chevelle, I'd have to cut it into four pieces and send you one piece for the next four years to get around the taxes.

Do you have a welder?

Old 03-18-2006, 11:29 AM

ORIGINAL: AMGMercedes

Bush needs to quit his spending spree and use it wisely, same with the state levels. So what if people hate you
Kinda like asking mass a murderer to stop shooting after everyone is already dead...

Old 03-18-2006, 11:31 AM

ORIGINAL: Lugnut

If income taxes were cut in half and spent wisely by the noodle-headed goverments, we'd all have better services and more money in our pockets. Why did we let ourselves get into this unholy mess? The only thing that will fix the tax system now is a meteor like the one that snuffed the dinosaurs. Erase the old and start anew. Sucks, but I don't see another way.
Either start a revolution or vote Libertarian. It's about all you can do...

Old 03-18-2006, 12:51 PM
Super Moderator

Voting Libertarian is revolutionary. It is like being in a patriots club. Most people are sheeple, they follow rather than lead, and that is good for the power classes. Most people are not educated enough to vote anyway, and don't. The problem is that the voting that is done, is done in large packs (blind party line) or voting blocks (electoral college is a good example).

Until the libertarian voting block is large enough, you are wasting your time. The real project is attacking the public education system to create an independent minded society. The exact enemy of big government which thrives on being needed by the non-voting lower and middle class Americans. When our education system steers more toward self reliance our country will need less government, something the Republican party used to stand for.

Old 03-18-2006, 01:48 PM

ORIGINAL: BikerDrew

Until the libertarian voting block is large enough, you are wasting your time.
The prevalence of that belief is exactly why the Libertarian voting block will never be large enough. Vote your conscience, even if you stand alone. It's the only way to effect real change.

Old 03-18-2006, 01:59 PM

ORIGINAL: BikerDrew

When our education system steers more toward self reliance our country will need less government, something the Republican party used to stand for.
The Republican party has been hijacked by extremist religeous right neocon fascists who have plunged our great country into an unprovoked invasion and unfathomable debt. They certainly no longer represent me or my beliefs. In that regard, the Libertarian agenda is far and away the most representative, and that's who will get my vote, "wasted" or not.

Old 03-18-2006, 02:49 PM

I agree, except fascist is a bit strong--unless I slept through something. All the necessary components to qualify as fascists aren't there, though there are some. If Dubya and his crew truly got carried away with themselves, the checks and balances built into our governing system would pull their pants down and kick their sorry asses. Moreover, Dubya enjoys enough support (just enough) to keep his butt out of a sling.

I think the movers in this country are more afraid of Dubya's daddy and his gang than they are of him. Nevertheless, no one else could do a much better job in the big seat, even a Libertarian. There's too much bickering and chest beating from all the players in all the parties and government branches (checks and balances). No single person can become the fascist that you fear. Convince me if you think otherwise. No one can forward an agenda on his/her own that will stand the test of time, and political climates change relatively quickly in the US, especially compared to other countries where an extremist can hijack a country for the remainder of his lifetime, as long as he can dodge the bullets, that is.

What I'm beginning to fear now is that the pendulum is about to swing just as far in the other direction. I don't want that either because I think it's probably even more dangerous and undesirable than where we are now. I don't want to go from a theme of defending ourselves from our enemies to a theme of appeasing them and trying to feel their pain. Extremism is bad, period.

Old 03-18-2006, 03:40 PM

A Libertarian (big L) would not have pushed an Iraq-invasion agenda through and kept beating the fear drum. Yes, "fascist" (small f) is a bit strong, but it's not out of line either. After all, we're talking a bent rather than a hard line here. Remove the Iraq invasion and the fear-mongering from our landscape, and the moderates and true fiscal conservatives in our government might regain the strong voice they deserve.

There will need to be an awful lot of Libertarians on Capitol Hill to push through a true Libertarian agenda -- a handful ain't gonna cut it, even if one was POTUS...

Quick Reply: Damn Income Taxes!