Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes here. Keep it clean.

Astonishing Al Jazeera video

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2006, 01:47 AM
Default RE: Astonishing Al Jazeera video

Sorry, I assumed you were aware that Al Jazeera is the name of a news agency, and an extremely competent, if rather biased one. Learn before tossing blanket condemnations around, and try to give a little credit where it's due, particularly in regard to airing this video.

Old 03-12-2006, 01:49 AM

ORIGINAL: RockSolid

Personally, I don't think they're any worse than Fox News.....
You're kidding right?
Does Fox try to pass itself off as a news network, while serving as little more than a propoganda agency with paid moles for the current administration? How much time have you spent at the Al Jazeera Website?

Old 03-12-2006, 10:13 AM

Normally, I would accept your invitation to switch this discussion to personal attacks. But, NAH. You should be in a better mood. I heard it finally rained there.

Al Jazeera's bias is the gist of my argument. To say that a "news agency" is biased and competent is an oxymoron. You're essentially saying they're really good at being really bad. Give them credit for that? Okay, fine.

I find it odd that you applaud Al Jazeera for being biased, yet find it necessary to bad mouth Fox News for doing the same. What's the difference in your mind? You seem a bit confused on this issue and it's you that needs to do some learning. At least take the blinders off and look around. See?

Old 03-12-2006, 10:49 AM

while serving as little more than a propoganda agency with paid moles for the current administration?
Paid moles? Look, some of the News magazine shows have patriotic conservative comentators ( YOu obvioulsy are on the other side of the isle) but they don't make a secret of their politics. Their straight news programs are no more biased to the American right than CNN, ABC, NBC, or CBS are biased to the American left. An American news agency SHOULD have patriotic tendencies- such as not broadcasting news that would help an enemy during war. Al Jazeera, on the other hand, has no loyalty to the US government and in fact is glad to disclose information that hurts our war effort. Don't you think this is a significant distinction between US news outlets and Al Jazeera?

Old 03-12-2006, 12:29 PM

ORIGINAL: Lugnut

Normally, I would accept your invitation to switch this discussion to personal attacks. But, NAH. You should be in a better mood. I heard it finally rained there.

Al Jazeera's bias is the gist of my argument. To say that a "news agency" is biased and competent is an oxymoron. You're essentially saying they're really good at being really bad. Give them credit for that? Okay, fine.

I find it odd that you applaud Al Jazeera for being biased, yet find it necessary to bad mouth Fox News for doing the same. What's the difference in your mind? You seem a bit confused on this issue and it's you that needs to do some learning. At least take the blinders off and look around. See?
All news is biased, and I certainly don't think it's unusual to show bias for one's own culture, do you? Just like you're showing bias in your comparison of Al Jazeera and Fox. Al Jazeera showed a competent Arab woman who presented a shockingly lucid and nearly inarguable commentary that opposed that culture. I doubt that Fox would do something similar in regard to the current administration.

I am shocked that Al Jazeera aired that video, and applaud them for it. My issue with your assessment of Al Jazeera is that you seem to have equated a news agency with a terrorist organization. What on earth is your criteria for that analogy? I hope it's something other than race...

Old 03-12-2006, 12:40 PM

ORIGINAL: RockSolid

while serving as little more than a propoganda agency with paid moles for the current administration?
Paid moles? Look, some of the News magazine shows have patriotic conservative comentators ( YOu obvioulsy are on the other side of the isle) but they don't make a secret of their politics. Their straight news programs are no more biased to the American right than CNN, ABC, NBC, or CBS are biased to the American left. An American news agency SHOULD have patriotic tendencies- such as not broadcasting news that would help an enemy during war. Al Jazeera, on the other hand, has no loyalty to the US government and in fact is glad to disclose information that hurts our war effort. Don't you think this is a significant distinction between US news outlets and Al Jazeera?
If you're suggesting that the main distinction between Al Jazeera and some major U.S. news networks is that Al Jazeera is not American, I quite agree.

Old 03-12-2006, 12:42 PM

Rained and snowed for the first time in five months. And I had tickets to the Cubs game. [:@] Trust me, it didn't do much for my mood.

Old 03-12-2006, 02:01 PM

I'm not showing any bias. I'm not free of bias, but I'm not showing any here. But, you are.

Al Jazeera can show all the bias they want. The more they show, the less credible and competent they become. I don't use them as a reliable news source so I don't care. Maybe Al Jazeera "reporters" don't shoot their AK-47s out the windows during a broadcast, but they are facilitators of Muslim violence. They foment it with broadcasts such as the one you're so proud of. You saw the set-up part of the broadcast. You didn't see their true colors. Where's the rest of the broadcast?

Don't put words in my mouth. I'm not taking your "race" bait, so put a lid on it.

If you're suggesting that the main distinction between Al Jazeera and some major U.S. news networks is that Al Jazeera is not American, I quite agree.
He's suggesting that Al Jazeera is an enemy of the US. Why would you hang your (newly) wet hat on what they report?

Old 03-12-2006, 03:25 PM

I'm not showing any bias. I'm not free of bias, but I'm not showing any here. But, you are.
You appear to be discrediting the video based exclusively on the source that aired it, which is bias at its finest. I see a possible sign of growth, while you see sneaky underhandedness, despite a complete lack of evidence to that effect. From what I can tell, the obvious editing of the video was done before it aired. What you saw is what was broadcast. I base that conclusion on a transcript of the original broadcast, which mirrors the video word for word.

Old 03-12-2006, 03:43 PM

It's not bias, but a strict consideration of the facts.

First of all, the video you linked to was passed though MEMRI hands and is not directly from Al Jazeera. Edited? Undoubtedly extensively. But, how many times and by whom? MEMRI and Al Jazeera are diametrically opposed. What's really going on behind this video? Don't you wonder? MEMRI is a Jewish organization with offices in Israel and the US. How can you confidently say you're seeing the entire broadcast? I don't believe I am. Various professional journalists with news blogs don't believe it was the entire broadcast either. There's an effort developing now to find the rest of it. We'll see what results.

Quick Reply: Astonishing Al Jazeera video