Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes here. Keep it clean.

Ah HA, 190s are classics

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2008, 07:09 AM
Super Moderator
Default Ah HA, 190s are classics

I knew the 190s would become a super classic. It is happening. Now that (most) of the ones that got salvaged or broken have been recycled, people are beginning to scour the internet for the scarce survivors. Prices will begin to go back up from here; mark my words.
As late as last year old used 190s were selling for around 3-4k US; I speculate that prices will approach 12k US within the next few years for clean 190s.

Blue

Old 12-29-2008, 08:20 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Ah HA, 190s are classics

Curious as how you concluded the 190's have become a super classic. Link?

Mercedes should take time to remember the W201 with the start of the next C-Class AMG(W205) by only offering the same two colors as the original 2.3-16, smoke silver and black pearl. On the current W204 they already offer Evo type rims that are split spoke.

Old 12-29-2008, 09:34 PM

ORIGINAL: BlueSilver

I knew the 190s would become a super classic. It is happening. Now that (most) of the ones that got salvaged or broken have been recycled, people are beginning to scour the internet for the scarce survivors. Prices will begin to go back up from here; mark my words.
As late as last year old used 190s were selling for around 3-4k US; I speculate that prices will approach 12k US within the next few years for clean 190s.

I hope that is ture about them going 12k. I think I should take money out of the market soon and buy some 190E's. I got the storage space. Now to just find some good ones

Blue

Old 01-01-2009, 10:21 AM
Super Moderator

C280, (LOL), I wouldnt recommend trying to corner the market in 190s LOL! But I certainly believethat buying ONE orholding on to the one you have will be worthwhile.

I think we all know the problem. Right now the cars are going for $2-$4k retail, and lucky to fetch $500-$1000 in a collision. The problem with ownership occurs the first time a $1500 repair is needed. On a balance sheet, the car becomes a total loss needing only an air meter or fuel distributor, for example. And many ownersduring the last decade have been facing this (keep or salvage) decision, many opting for the salvage. The salvage cars went quick to keep the remaining 190s running inexpensively, now they are scarce, and the price will be climbing. We have seen this rebound cycle with the 55-57 chevy, the VW beetle, the 67 mustang,and now the 190 is showing signs of customer loyalty and persistence. The 190 has been referred to by Mercedes as having the greatest customer satisfaction of any model ever made. People will restore them, show them, make hobby cars of them. While surfing for old 190 photos, trying to find one with a stainless wheel trim kit, I ran across several 190 wanted adds. I will add links as I come across them.

Blue

Old 01-01-2009, 01:43 PM

ORIGINAL: BlueSilver

C280, (LOL), I wouldnt recommend trying to corner the market in 190s LOL! But I certainly believethat buying ONE orholding on to the one you have will be worthwhile.
No belive me I wouldnt do that. But if I did find one in exceptional condition and low miles(Like under 50,000) and could get it cheap I would jump on it and store it. I dont belive they will be worth all that much in the future but you could make a little profit I bet.

Old 01-02-2009, 07:13 AM
Super Moderator

I have never owned a car I considered to be an investment, and have certainly never profited fromone directly, actuallyI consider them ALL tobe either toys (expense) or consumables(expense). Currently almost any repair cost more than the actual cash value of the car, and that is a barrier to restoration. I think people who keep the cars running now are weighing in the value of transportation, which is at leastworth $5k per year. But if the market price comes up, it will become reasonable to restore one or repair one for fun, because you could at least get your money back.