Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes here. Keep it clean.

Again in Brittian

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2005, 01:53 AM
Super Moderator
Default Again in Brittian

Do you think it is time for the folks in Great Brittian to arm themselves again? Oh, but wait, the government has it all figured out.

How about those of us in th USA who will start seeing suicide bombers on our streets sooner than latter? Should WE consider carrying a fire arm before the government takes them away?

All of this lack of real action by our governments to protect our citizenry has me worrying less about my car though.

Old 07-22-2005, 02:01 AM
Default RE: Again in Brittian

What are you going to do with a firearm to protect yourself against suicide bombers?

- Shoot anyone with a backpack?
- Shoot all Arab males?
- Shoot a suicide bomber after he's blown himself to bits?

Old 07-22-2005, 11:52 AM
Super Moderator

My "idea" was a little tongue and cheek.[sm=bicker.gif]

Really, we have Orange alerts. What does that really do? Our leaders say "Be vidgile". What is that? Should we stand out in the front yard waving a flag and looking for what? So are we to spy on each other in our spare time?[sm=headbang.gif]

Out government has given us nothing to work with other than a new administration...homeland security. More feelgood tax spending IMHO. I don't feel any safer.

I believe the real answer to making all countries safer internally is seal the borders, and have all persons (including all citizens) be required to visit a government agency, show proof of ID, go through a voluntary bachground check, issue new National ID cards and sort out those who do not have the right to be there. No one has the ***** to do this. I't might offend people.

Us Americans are a bit spoiled. We think we can live our lives as we please with no interferance from anyone and pay nothing for the privilage.

It's too bad, but until a lot more blood runs through the streets, I fear nothing will be done to seriously stop the killing of non-Muslims and innocent Muslims alike.

Old 07-22-2005, 12:41 PM

I'm on your side on this... sort of. I also think we need to get more aggressive in defending ourselves.

The color alerts are meant for government first responders, not the general citizenry. They know how to react to the different colors. You can do little more than be scared ****less or apathetic.

The government can and should protect our borders from illegal immigration. If they can be "sealed," they can be controlled. However, look at Israel. Their borders are tightly controlled, yet I don't have to tell you that suicide bombers enter pretty much freely.

National IDs are a good idea for several reasons, but not for protecting us against terrorism. This would only give a false sense of security. IDs, no matter who issues them, can be copied fraudulently. The good guys will have legitimate IDs and the bad guys will have fraudulent ones. Some bad guys will have legitimate IDs, just like they do now with driver's licenses and birth certificates.

The way these cowards attack means you must do something to protect yourself. They don't attack our governments with their bombers, they attack you and me on the streets. The governments can't always be there between them and us, and the terrorists know it. This is not news. They know you can't protect yourself.

You say a lot of blood must run in the streets before something serious is done to stop the attacks. Do you have any idea what that should be? Let me ask you a [another] question. If your house was constantly being raided by large yellow dogs and they viciously attacked any person on your property, what would you do? Would you round up all the cats in the neighborhood and take them to the pound? Would you round up all the small dogs? Would you round up all the black, white, red, and multi-colored dogs? Would you mostly ignore large yellow dogs in your neighborhood? Our government does the latter so that we won't offend Muslims and more ominously, young male Arabs. I don't get it, but that's the "feelgood" America our tax dollars currently support.