New Mercedes Benz Forum Members Area Just joining us here at Mercedes Benz Forum? Stop in, say hi, introduce yourself and your ride.

transmissions

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 09:31 PM
Default transmissions

Hello,

I am new to forum, but not new to Mercedes. I have 12 yrs of experience on me and if I can help with drive line issues just let me know.

Old 02-10-2009, 01:54 PM
Default I'll take you up on that!

Just purchased a '74 240d. I have three questions regarding the transmission:

1. When I put it in gear (3 speed auto), I have to pull it down a bit further than the gear I want before it goes into the gear, then I push it back, and it works.

2. When it's in park, it still rolls...I have to use the E-brake.

3. when I come to a stop, it shudders as the engine returns to idle. If I put it in neutral, or wait for a few seconds, the shuddering stops/lessens.

Otherwise, it shifts through all gears normall when driving. What would cause any or all of the problems mentioned? Also (sorry!) I've heard on old automatics if you change the fluid, and it's never been changed, you risk your tranny no longer shifting...this true?

Thank in Advance!

Old 02-11-2009, 10:03 PM

He is right, your shifter bushing is wore out, it just a white rubber bushing and over time they get hard and break out. You probably do have a 3 speed trans, 4 speeds didnt come out unit the 80's. You probably have a 772.1 or 722.3 trans.

Old 02-12-2009, 10:01 AM

Thank you all for the info. Another question - are these fixes a novice could do with a repair manual, or better off taking it to a transmission shop?

The reason I thought it was a three is that it just has two low gear settings, and then drive - but no indication of O/D. You all would know far better than I would whether its a 3 or 4 speed.

Old 02-12-2009, 10:03 AM

Oh, and valve adjustment is definitely on the list of things to do - I doubt they've been adjusted in YEARS...guy I bought it from couldn't even find the second fuel filter...the one in plain sight, on the right of the engine. I'm not great, but I'm not that bad.

Old 02-12-2009, 11:07 AM

Hello, Please Help,
I have a 2001 E320 5spd auto, The trans started to slip and even in park if you push the gas, there is a whining sound. If you reset the obd, the noise goes away. also if the car is cold, it doesnt make any whine. The transmission slips. Unfortionately this is my only car and I am renting a car to get buy. I posted in the E class forum, but will paste it here:Hello, I have a 2001 e320 and the transmission started to slip I found the electrical connector was leaking and replaced it. I reset the OBD and the car drove great for about 20 miles and then the problem returned. The dealer (parts guy) says the connector plate is a common part to replace. Its about $250, so I dont want to change it unless there is a good chance it neads to be replaced. Can this part cause the transmission to slip? Or not at all? When the transmission slips, there is a whining sound that comes. Can this be the front pump? If so how to test. I feal like I'm in a stale mate. Not sure what to do next. change the fluid and filter? Please Help!
Thank you so much.

Old 02-12-2009, 10:02 PM

Yes, you can replace the rubber bushing on the shifter at the trans. You can pop the new one in with a pair of pliers and then the rod. Just scotch the wheels. I made a mistake also, it is a 3 speed, but the trans shold be a 722.0, 722.1 or a 722.2. 722.3 is a four speed.

Old 02-12-2009, 10:12 PM

Hello Radmanmoose,

You have the 722.6, they also use this is the Dodge Magnums, Dodge call this trans a Nag1. This is a common problem with the leak at the trans plug, Dodge is also dealing with it. Since you have the 01', I beleive it already has the updated curcuit board they are talking about. I don't think you need to have the whole board replaced. Even if you replace the o-rings on the connector plug it will still leak, they are leaking from the inside of the plug where they pins are. You can get just that part of the plug. That was the good news. Bad news is that the pan and valve body has to come off to replace it. I would like to know the OBD code number that it is setting, I can probably help you further with that. On the other hand though, if the trans is slipping, then it is probably low on fluid and that may be where the whine comes from. When a trans is low on fluid, the pump will whine trying to pick up fluid and air at the same time. I would suggest a fluid and filter change. If you do it yourself, you will have to buy the dipstick from Mercedes, they don't come with a dipstick in them. Hope this helps.