New Mercedes Benz Forum Members Area Just joining us here at Mercedes Benz Forum? Stop in, say hi, introduce yourself and your ride.

Scheduled Maintenance -- A & B?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2006, 09:59 PM
Default Scheduled Maintenance -- A & B?

I'm a new Mercedes owner, with a 2001 E320 Wagon. I love it, but I'm already discovering the Mercedes dealer is going to cost me big bucks for routine needs. I see that I'll need Scheduled Maintenance B in a few thousand miles. I have a feeling it won't be a $20 oil change! Can anyone tell this newbie what to expect at my scheduled visits? Thanks!

Old 10-29-2006, 01:51 AM
Default RE: Scheduled Maintenance -- A & B?

Hi
The different between plan A and Plan B tune up is just like any other car models. Plan A Service is for car is driven less than 14,000 miles and Plan B Service for car is over 14,000 miles and here is the determining need for A-Service or B-Service:
If the distance driven since the last "B-Service" is less than 14,000 miles, an "A-Service" should be performed.
If the distance driven since the last "B-Service" is greater than 14,000 miles, a "B-Service" should be performed.
Those statements explained above is from Mercedes-Benz Dealer Service Booklets. These are mean that, Plan A is minor service and plan B is major tune up. Below is what Plan A and Plan B covered:

Plan A: Check condition of brakes, inspect tires condition, measure tread depth, Engine oil and filter change, check and correct fluid level, Engine cooling system, anti-freeze and correction protection, Windshield washer check. Lubricate catch, safety catch and hinges on Engine hood, correct tire inflation pressure in spare tire. The cost is around $200.00 or under $300.00 depends on any extra charge for parts or additional repair if inspection on some area was failed and need repair, dealr will suggest and discuss with you whether you should do it now or later for your safety. I paid $211.00 for this plan
Plan B: Included everything above and add these services: visual check for Leakage under body and engine compartments, major components, check condition offront axle ball joints, check condition of steering's mechanical components, Level Control (for station wagon Models only), Brake system, Power Steering, AC refrigerant level check and test for leakage, Poly-V-Belt check, Lubricate throttle linkage, check function and condition, Lubricate safety catch and hinges on engine hood, check front and rear of vehicle for lamp inspection, check or adjust headlamp setting, replace windshield wiper rubber and also for rear windshield if your is coupe model. The cost is between $450.00 to $600.00. I paid $439.00
And between these services, you should check with dealer for your model any recall issue so you can get it free service from them and do regular oil change every 2,000 miles in order to keep your engine last longer and you can keep you car up to few hundred thousand miles.
Don't afraid for few hundred dollars for service because if you delay for any service and if it is broken down, it may cost you more than few thousand dollars. If you can get an extended warranty then that even safer and more money saving for any sudden brake down. I hope these infos will help you some ideas in mind. Take care and Good luck to your new car.
Regards,
joedao2005
2000 E320 4DR Sedan

Old 10-29-2006, 09:25 AM

Thank you so much for that detailed answer! At the dealership, they told me I didn't need to change the oil until that scheduled maintenance. It's good to know I should do it more often -- I was taking them at their word. I just ordered the complete mechanic guide's cd set for this car, so hopefully I can educate myself some more. I had Buicks/GMC's for years and made a point to know as much as possible about them so I wouldn't be the "dumb girl" at the garage. This car is like starting over. Sounds like this forum will be a big help when I have questions! All advice is appreciated.

Old 10-29-2006, 08:28 PM
Super Moderator

I'll tell you what todo dont take it to a dealer and do it urself.

Old 10-30-2006, 02:22 PM
Super Moderator

+1

Save yourself $500. A lot of that is just visual stuff