General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

"Scheduled A" maintenace - Why so early?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 04:24 PM
ab3
Default "Scheduled A" maintenace - Why so early?

I have a 2006 CLK 350, which I leased last March ('06). I drive the car like a grandmother. My car only has 6000 miles on it, but for some reason it is telling me to get Schedule A maintenance (the oil change) already. The book says the first maintenace is at 13,000 miles so i'm not even half-way there. My two questions:

1) can I just ignore the message and wait until I get closer to the 13,000 (considering the price of their oil changes I do not want to go in unnecessarily).

2) does anyone know if I'm obligated to go in to do the maintenance (ie. it would subject me to contractual breach) for not getting it done (even though it is so ahead of schedule).

For some reason my brother's car had the same problem, and he only had 8,000 miles, and had the car for less than a year. What's the point of saying that oil changes need to be done at 13,000 miles when it doesn't seem to be the case?

Any help appreciated.

AB3

Old 01-13-2007, 05:10 PM
Default RE: "Scheduled A" maintenace - Why so early?

2) If things go wrong and they can prove that you didn't do maintenance when you were advised to do so, they could try to deny the warranty has to cover it. In regard to lease problems, you should check the wording of the lease. The information is stored in the car computer, so they will know when you were advised and how long you continued to drive it.

Old 01-16-2007, 02:30 AM

Hi,
A and B Servicing points are determined by the way the car is driven.
ASSYST is "Intelligent"!
The two key parameters are Mileage and Time.
In broad terms the points come up at 15000 miles or two years which ever occurs the soonest.
So if your vehicle is indicating a Service at 6000 miles and one year something is odd.
I assume this is a new vehicle and not a secondhand one which "allegedly" had a Service before you bought it.
Possible the service points are different in CA (Can't think why).
Would question with your MB dealer why this has shown up so early....and tell us also please.

Stuart.

Old 01-22-2007, 02:07 AM

like stuart said the maintenace light (fss light ) is set up based on time and milage the time starts when they turn the car on for the first time in germany and will keep track. i experianced customers who just bought 2006 cars drove 2 weeks then the service light a service due which is crazy the car only has less then 2k miles if that and fss service is no longer under warranty the customer pays and an A service in s. calif is upwards of $140 doese the car need it ??? no in my opinion !!! you got a few options 1 . ignore the light and drive till you reach 10k then service as normal .(dont worry about dealer or lease when the writer writes the ro itll just sayA service not how much your over by ) 2. my personal favorite call your sales man apprise him of the situation and he'll either call you in so he'll reset your light or set you up with a free service for the inconvieance especially if you have not filled out your servy yet !!! 3. drive to a authorized dealership service drive advise a writer who will probalby reset the light and youll be on your way . note: the fss light is a guide not absolute your car is not going to stop working or fall apart if you pass the displayed milage believe me ive seen cars under lease come into shop with -28000 miles due for service they pay for an A service and all is well now lastly #4 . if have other warranty concerns take car to dealer advise them of the service light ask if there is a flash for softwear for central gate way or kombi and reset your light . just change you oil every 10k and youll be ok (oh ya your leasing change every 13k your not going to keep the car anyways)