New Mercedes Benz Forum Members Area Just joining us here at Mercedes Benz Forum? Stop in, say hi, introduce yourself and your ride.

Please allow me...

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2004, 12:17 AM
Default RE: Please allow me...

Yeah? What kind of vegetables?

You know, we're assuming that these practices are illegal in Malaysia and China. They may not be.

Old 08-13-2004, 09:33 AM

First of all, Thanks for welcome!
Unfortunately I'm not an expert about car dealership and transfers. I think with the time it will going better and better, because the most sensitive part of any company are the customers. If they're not satisfied a company is getting down hill automaticly.

Old 08-13-2004, 10:28 AM
Super Moderator

it so happens that in early 60's, datuk lao was the logger in malaysia and was using mercedes trucks that he order by hundreds. he became so famous with benz that he get the right for dealership in most part of south east asia.

so tell us something about you lutz.

Old 08-13-2004, 07:54 PM

OK, my full name is Lutz Finsterwalder, I'm 35 years old and I live in the Greater Berlin area in East Germany. I also grew up there. After finishing school in 1987 I had jobs as a salesmen for home entertainment, as a butcher, as a waiter and bartender (most time). It wasn't really my dream career.

As a kid at the age of 4 years I did drawing cars, boats, aircrafts all the day. I was a real inventor and idea producer. lol It was my passion to have something exciting like cars or motorcycles around me. One of my uncles was (he still is) a car fanatic and engineer who was tuning his cars he had. As a kid I went often to him just to watch at him during his work. Where I went to school a couple of years later many people didn't like that I'm always drawing cars so I was finishing day by day to do this. I had a career as a car designer in mind and I always did admire the Italian design icons like Bertone, Pininfarina, Zagato etc., but I gave up this dream. It was impossible this time in East Germany, there where no possibilities for such a profession. It was not realistic. Finally my life was gone into a different direction until now.

In 1999 I quit my full time job as a bartender and began to experiment with computers afterhours. I just remembered my wish to design cars or other fast vehicles witha lot of flair. Because of my lost of practice in drawing since my childhood I hired a computer with a lousy 3D program. I did design my first car for 23 years! I wasn't sure if I could doing that again, but I did. The compter program caused a lot of trouble, so I had no time to focus on my design work. I also had no time to learn. I just was learning by doing. It was painfully day by day, I had no support for that. In spite of that three monts later the car was finished but I wasn't satisfied with the result. I was angry about the computer crashes by this program. In spite of that I did a second try to design a helicopter in February' 2000 under time pressure because I used to promote myself as a computer expert to pay my bills. It was hardly o.k. to survive. I did manual writing of this program (CATIA V5) for some companies. Afterhours I was thinking about how to become a car designer, it seems to be impossible, I had no idea which way to run. I did boring computer consulting until today. In October' 2002 I made a second car design (another full scale model) on the computer at my spare time and holidays (unpaid).

I sent it to a German car magazine which brought a very little item about my car design on their last page. I was very disappointed. I did expecting more from them. I still using to be a designer, I did applying to some companies as a designer, but they wouldn't employ any guy without elite education who is 35 years old. On the other hand I prefer to be independent. I heard thta employed designers are never would seeing any of their ideas get realized, because the manement has no idea about feeling and customers needs. For example at BMW's payroll are more than 300 designers who drawing cars all the day... ...for the wastebag or for their boss who's selling those ideas as their own. That must be frustrating.

I have to find my own way anyway.

Old 08-14-2004, 02:02 AM
Super Moderator

you mostly design the body or engine of a car?

i think it is very time consuming because you need to see every details that is acceptable from the critics, engineers, and funtionality.

Old 08-14-2004, 02:27 AM

I mostly design the body, the interior, the wheels, trunk and engine covers and many other details.
You are right, a good designer has to follow the functions and engineering facts without making a bad design. That's the reason that a car research and development process needs many years and a lot of money.

A car is a complicated product with many sub product inside the same. Especially in the interior trim you have so many different variations and versions. It always depends on the options that every customer wants for its cars (i.e. either an automatic transmission for option or a manual gear box). During a car design process you will making many changes and updates until the car is really finished.

I personally like this kind of work because it is challenging every time. To see a finished product is always very pleasant.