New Mercedes Benz Forum Members Area Just joining us here at Mercedes Benz Forum? Stop in, say hi, introduce yourself and your ride.

newbie questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 09:46 AM
Default newbie questions

Hello,
I guess this post can also serve as my introduction.
I've had lots of cars, none very luxury, I guess my wife's 97 Avalon was the most expensive luxury car. Currently we both drive subarus, I have the 06 Legacy Ltd Sedan ( not the GT, should have gotten the GT though )

I hope this is the place I can ask these types of questions. Not having had time to surf too many of the posts, I'm assuming it's ok.

I'm thinking of getting a Mercedes ( my first ). Either the C230 or C280. Not having test driven either yet, I'm nt sure, but judging from what I read so far, the 230 would be more my speed because I like sporty handling.

Anyway, I've always held Mercedes in the highest regard and considered them unattainable, so never thought too hard about getting one. But now I am getting butterflys in my stomach thinking about one.

It seems that to get a brand new one is a little out of my price range. I don't even know if the dealers discount much, but for a decently equipped new 230, it looks like around $36k. So I'm thinking of used.

I want no earlier than 2005 because I believe that's when they upgraded the car last with some nice touches.

So I guess the question is, is there anything I should especially look for when buying a 1 or 2 year old 230 ? Are they basically bullet proof so I don't need to worry about getting a car with 20-30k miles on it even ?

CarMax is listing an 06 with 16k miles for $31k with leather and sunroof. So it seems, from looking at kbb that the car sold for around $35k, carmax gave about $21k in trade, and now want to make $10k profit. Wheeew.

Can I do better than that or is that the going rate ? And is it a good type car to buy used like I'm thinking ?

I know these may be stupid questions to some, but I bet I learn a good big from any answers and discussions this might provoke.

Thanks in advance

Old 10-07-2006, 07:56 PM
Default RE: newbie questions

I'm new to this and am having a difficlut time navigating throught the site. I don't even know where to post my question so I got onto your link. I have a 1996 C280 and I'm in need of the metal frame and accessories that make the sunroof work. Please email me at dmitrymoody@hotmail.com if you know of anyone who has it. Thanks My VIN is WDBHA28E1TF397469