Mercedes S Class Mercedes S350, Mercedes S430, Mercedes S500 and Mercedes S600 Sedans.

A Newbie Here...with Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2005, 01:07 AM
Default A Newbie Here...with Questions

Been lurking around awhile and got my car a couple of months ago....I have a couple of questions.

1. I have a 2001 s430 and I want to add some custom rims in a size 20 but I dont want to change my ride. My car is smooth so I am afraid that will make it ride rough....Any suggestions???

2. I want to add muffler chrome tips...seen some on ebay that says they bolt on, does anyone know how easy they are to install???

3. I have a smoke silver color...I want to tint the windows ...cant decide if I want limo or bronze??????

Thanks in advance to any suggestions or comments

[IMG]local://upfiles/7099/2788C4DBA6E14421B45ECCC623460BD4.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-13-2005, 02:12 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: A Newbie Here...with Questions

1. I have a 2001 s430 and I want to add some custom rims in a size 20 but I dont want to change my ride. My car is smooth so I am afraid that will make it ride rough....Any suggestions???
yes it will affect a little since the pressure on thinner tires are much higher by 1 bar.

2. I want to add muffler chrome tips...seen some on ebay that says they bolt on, does anyone know how easy they are to install???
so easy that you can do it by yourself.

Old 08-16-2005, 05:55 PM

Hey MsRandall, How do you like the 2001 S430 overall? Any problems that you've seen yet? I have one in my sights. Thanks, Ken.

Old 08-17-2005, 11:35 PM

So far I have been very happy with it. Not a problem with it. I only had it 1.5 months. I opted for an extended warranty until 100,000 miles...so I should be fine. My next projects are chrome tips, update the rear lights and custom rims....I am a little worried about using aftermarket parts....so I am lookimg for suggestions.

Old 08-18-2005, 04:03 AM

Congrats on your car?

20's will affect the ride in many ways. Depends where you live. Say in NYC you wount be able to go with it since the roads are horrible. But if you are in the state where roads are good, you might get by after all. I personally think 20's are an overkill, 18's will look just as good and will prove to be reliable over a course of time.

A for tints, I think 35% is just right, not too dark, especially with factory tint. 20% is the most you should go with. Limo is too dark and will get you tickets.

As for exhaut tips, I don't know what the big deal is, what is so hot about exhaust tip pocking out from the back? Its not a Mustang, or a GTO. I personally like hidden exhaust, it looks clean. But thats my opinion.

Old 08-18-2005, 05:12 AM

Congrats on the new car !!

Here's a link to Tirerack.com

It's pretty cool... you can get an idea of what new wheels can look like.

Click on the link
http://www.tirerack.com/upgrade_gara...1&autoModClar=

Also, I think 20" wheels on a car is a bit overkill.

A decent set of 18"s should look great and not effect the ride too much.

And as Sleepwalker stated.. Chrome exhaust tips are a breeze to install.

Hope this helps

Old 08-18-2005, 07:38 PM

Thanks everyone...just got back from the local tint shop and I decided on the 35% ...installed on Tuesday morning.

I am rethinking the chrome tips now so that project might be on hold.

The updated tailights are ordered and in transit.

The rims I cant decide if I want them ...so that might be a hold project too.

BTW: The chrome exhaust tips makes the car look sporty to me. If I was opting for rims then sporty is the look I would be aiming for...

Old 08-29-2005, 02:03 PM

Got the chrome tips installed. I like them.

Got my 19 in AMG wheels on order. I wanted the 18in but the TR1 tires are out of stock and wont be available for about a month...so I went with a 19in. Should have them installed by Saturday.

Tint guy was sick so that project is on hold until he recovers. Actually now that I think of it..I want to wait until rims and tires are installed.

I did the tailight change myself it was painless after I realized one screw was odd and had to be removed or I had to drill another hole. Took 10 minutes after that.

Will add an updated picture when I get the rims/tires installed ....My baby is starting to look like mine. I am now thinking the next set of projects will be to replace the hood emblem and grill and to update the headlights.

Thanks for welcoming a newbie to the family ...you all have been great help.

SIDENOTE: I need a custom license plate configuration to let everyone know its not my husbands car...because already thats what they assume...

Old 08-30-2005, 03:20 AM

Sounds like you're moving right along with it.

Looking forward to seeing those pictures of it when you get all of the goodies on it.

Take care!

Old 09-23-2005, 07:56 PM

Sounds like you're probably done w/ mods by now (I just saw this thread), but if not I wanted to tell you to talk w/ Luke at Tire Rack. I recently put new 18" AMG double-spoke wheels and Eagle F1 tires on my S500. (I kept the stock 16" wheels and put Michelin X-Ice winter tires on them.) I've had the car for 5 1/2 years and got a little bored w/ the stock look. Just changing the wheels and tires made a huge difference in my feelings about the old bucket of bolts--rekindeled my love affair w/ the car all over again. I'll try to upload a photo.

Good luck w/ your mods...

[IMG]local://upfiles/8187/522E5EAF5B174EF0942E94E8D18F75FB.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: A Newbie Here...with Questions