New Mercedes Benz Forum Members Area Just joining us here at Mercedes Benz Forum? Stop in, say hi, introduce yourself and your ride.

New here, what should I buy?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 04:58 PM
Default New here, what should I buy?

Hey everyone!! I'm Chrissy and I am interested in buying a used Mercedes although, I'm not sure which one. I want something sporty, but not too expensive. I'm looking to buy one no older than 2004. What about mileage? What amount of mileage are Mercedes known to last until? Also, I'm kind of worried about purchasing a used car because sometimes all of the damage isn't reported or things have been replaced. I also don't trust myself enough to be able to notice this kind of thing because I'm not really a car expert. I know CarFax tells reported damage, but what about unreported damage? I know there are professional mobile car companies like AiM Mobile Inspections. A few people I know have had their cars inspected by them and they said they received a detailed inspection report. Has anyone else used them or someone like them? If so, were you satisfied with the report? Was it worth it?

Thanks!

Old 02-02-2010, 08:51 PM

Hi Chrissy
Welcome to the forum!
You may want to consider a C-Class as they are very sporty, lots of hp, and not so pricey as an SL for example. As for mileage a well maintained Mercedes of any class should treat you good to 150 to 200,000 miles. You should look for one with 50,000 to 70,000 with documented service history. Watch out for the less expensive so called "Good Deals" as they say in the Mercedes circles buy cheap now and pay lots later. Typically a low cost MB will soon require some salty service expense.
Have a reputable european Independant shop perform a pre purchase inspection. It can cost $150 to $200 here in my area but well worth it in the end.

good luck and have fun shopping