New Mercedes Benz Forum Members Area Just joining us here at Mercedes Benz Forum? Stop in, say hi, introduce yourself and your ride.

New guy. Should I buy it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 06:14 AM
Default New guy. Should I buy it?

I've never owned a Benz but I've been obsessed for some time with the idea of buying an old Diesel and possibly converting it to run on biofuel. Finally, one has popped up, at a very good price. I guess I'm looking for a knee-jerk "Yes! Get it!" or "No! Moneypit! Don't waste your time!" reaction from some people in the know, since I'm clueless. I'm a novice mechanic with gas cars so to say I'm nervous about it would be an understatement.

According to the owner it has 185k and it needs the "floorpan finished and welded in" and tires to pass inspection. $650 bucks.

PICS:

I'm good with body work so I can actually do that myself, and give it a decent beater paint job.

So. Buy it? Or no?

Old 01-10-2012, 05:05 AM

Yeah? I was under the impression that plant oil actually runs cleaner in diesel engines than petrol-based diesel fuel. I assume that's pure oil as opposed to waste veggie oil...

So what makes it "garbage" ? And let's assume I scrap the bio fuel idea, would your endorsement change?

Old 01-10-2012, 10:24 PM
Default The price sounds good but!!!!!

Hello
With out knowing your your need for this vehicle I would be very cautious at $650.00. If you are looking for it to enjoy owning and working on a Mercedes
I do not think you could find a better choice, if the vehicle is in OK condition as regards to engine,drivetrain, body, interior as ease of finding parts and technical support is easily available. What I would suggest is if you enjoy doing body work and it is quick starting as that is not needing an expensive overhaul
go for it. Where I am located there quite a few 300d's in good condition between $1500-2500.00 .