New Mercedes Benz Forum Members Area Just joining us here at Mercedes Benz Forum? Stop in, say hi, introduce yourself and your ride.

New Here - ?'s about 74 240d W115

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 07:12 PM
Default New Here - ?'s about 74 240d W115

Let me start by saying, I know ver little about cars. Currently I own a 99 Dodge Neon (yes I accept that you're probably laughing right now). Its been a good car to me actually. Its all right to drive and gets us around town.

I posted about this on another forum, so I'm really hoping that this site is a little chattier because my questions are time sensitive. I am yet deciding on my purchase.

I found a 74' mercedes 240 d W115 for sale in my area. It is a stick shift and has an extra tank in the trunk. Its had a home done paint job and I would need to repaint it. The interior is probably good for a 74, but I would probably want to replace the front seats especially. They are falling apart. Its been in a fender bender, passenger right side. Body damage only that has been corrected and you would only notice it if you were looking for it. No major repairs necessary. A few small leaks. New tires, new master cylinder and reservoir.

As mentioned, not one to really notice cars before I really have fallen for this one. Its beautiful, it's interesting, and I have yet to test drive it (waiting on break pad installation) but am quite sure it will be fun. I'm considering a veggie oil kit. I would learn how, and baby this car.

I could really use some opinions on it. I know this guy has done a lot of work on it, but he's asking $4,200.00 and I don't know if that's reasonable or not. Also, I would just love some opinions from fellow owners.

My mechanic says it requires a lot of upkeep and its not good for a "main" car, just for a fun car. Right now I sink about $1200 - $1500 into the Neon yearly, would it be more than that? What about veggie oil? Are there any converters out there, or is what I'm saying blasphemy? Lol. Is it a functional every day car for a city dweller? Is it as fantastic as I think it is? Would you buy this car? How much longer will this car last? The seller said forever of course. I have more questions but will save those.

I know this is a long post and I thank you sticking through the whole thing. Really looking forward to some experienced advice!

From,

An old car newb,

Rebecca