New Mercedes Benz Forum Members Area Just joining us here at Mercedes Benz Forum? Stop in, say hi, introduce yourself and your ride.

My first Mercedes

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 10:46 PM
Default My first Mercedes

Hello,

I have just purchased my first Mercedes and I am hoping I can get some advice from knowledgable owners.

I have a 1992 Merc 180E auto, Australian delivered (for those non-Australians, as I understand, a 180E is just a dressed down 190E for the Aus market... I think) with cloth trim, power windows and sunroof. She has 156,000k on the clock and is quite tidy for a 16yo car.

I do not have an owner's manual so I hope someone might be able to help me with a few queries....

[ol][*]There is an on/off button in the console, just to the bottom right of the gear shift (auto). What is it for and what setting should I keep it in for ordinary city driving?[*]The engine makes a bit of a rattle sound when I put the foot down (more pronounced when it is looking for torque, like after a gear change). I suspect this is an engine knock from lower grade fuel (we in Oz have 91RON fuel as standard, which I put in the car upon delivery), but am I right? ShouldI be using 95RON or even 98RON fuel, or is the ordinary unleaded I'm using now sufficient? If it is not due to fuel, does anyone know what causes this rattle?[*]I am about to have a stereo installed. There is a fader wheelin the console (strangely). Should I have this simply bypassed (the head unit will have fader control)?[*]Each of the front seats have 2 levers (one side and one front) that both seem to allow the seatto slide back and forth. Are they both meant to serve the same function, or is something wrong in my car?[/ol]
I'm sure I will discover some more things to query soon. If anyone can help me with the above (and any advice on anything else you think relevant) I'd be greatful

Thanks

Old 01-01-2009, 01:12 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: My first Mercedes

1) I do not know. My US 190 does not have this control.

2) Try a full tank of the higher grade fuel. My 190 will get a valve rattle only if I use the lowest grade fuel available here. It will also do it if the oil and filter needs changing badly.

3) I think the wheel you are referring to fades the dash lights, not the sound...If I understand you correctly.

4)I do not know. My US model does not have this control.

Old 01-01-2009, 08:46 AM
Default RE: My first Mercedes

4) On older cars, the front lever is for back and forth, the side lever is for a ramp that moves the seat up and down.