New Mercedes Benz Forum Members Area Just joining us here at Mercedes Benz Forum? Stop in, say hi, introduce yourself and your ride.

Mercedes C180 automatic oil questions

Old 09-06-2010, 09:34 AM
Unhappy Mercedes C180 automatic oil questions

I have some questions in connection with my C180 and oil. First let me say that I love my car. That said secondly may I just complain about my local Merc agent who last serviced it. Did a good job but in the service booklet they merely inserted the word Castrol in the oil used block!

I had my oil checked at a filling station (maybe stupidly) and the attendent showed me that the level was rather low so what oil do I use? I looked up in the book and I said Castrol, he smiled and pointed out the many different castrol grades. I phoned the agent who said synthetic 40 or something. How was I to guess this! Anyway has anyone else experienced the difficulty of rermoving a C180's oil cap, hell did we struggle.

Sorry now the questions, should I wait for the "top up when next filling the fuel tank" msg before topping up? Do all C180's get this msg ?
Does between service topping up extend the service intervals.

Is it perfectly normal to top up oil periodically.

Sorry if the answers to these questions are pretty obvious to many of you but I am not a petrol head!

Thanks

Savana