New Mercedes Benz Forum Members Area Just joining us here at Mercedes Benz Forum? Stop in, say hi, introduce yourself and your ride.

Ignition and steering locked up! HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 05:04 PM
Default Ignition and steering locked up! HELP!

I have a '97 C230. I just went out to start it and the ignition wont turn and the steering wheel only moves a little. I cannot move the gears from PARK either. Can anyone help me please? Ignition or antitheft? I have zero money to fix this right now so any advice to correct the problem myself would be great!
btw, the car is parked in my driveway in front of my garage where my other vehicle is parked and I cannot get the vehicle out until I can move my Mercedes.

Old 06-16-2019, 05:02 PM

Hi Amy, I'm Michelle. i have a 98 clk 320 and am having the same issue. my ignition wont even turn. and the key fob wont even unlock my auto door locks. did all the obvious things as im somewhat knowledgeable. still, nothing.
Ill be waiting to hear if you got your issue fixed or not. and how. Nice to know im not the only one though.

Old 06-17-2019, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by mvonwald
Hi Amy, I'm Michelle. i have a 98 clk 320 and am having the same issue. my ignition wont even turn. and the key fob wont even unlock my auto door locks. did all the obvious things as im somewhat knowledgeable. still, nothing.
Ill be waiting to hear if you got your issue fixed or not. and how. Nice to know im not the only one though.
Hi Michelle, I ended up having to have my C230 towed to a service center and had the entire the ignition switch replaced. If I remember correctly, it wasn’t cheap. This was many years ago. Unfortunately, I no longer have this car. It was totaled by a distracted driver. Good luck!