New Mercedes Benz Forum Members Area Just joining us here at Mercedes Benz Forum? Stop in, say hi, introduce yourself and your ride.

Hi new Mercedes owner & New to Forum

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2005, 07:13 PM
Default Hi new Mercedes owner & New to Forum

Iam baffled by the value of my mercedes I just purchased. First of all I see on e-bay alot of 280 and 250 coupes selling for a lot of money. But, mine is a sedan 4 door and also has been converted with a ford 302 V8 engine so I do not know what the heck the value is.
The interior is cherry, all original and complete. The outside is nice, the paint job shows its age but is still ok. Oh it is a 1971. If I got a new paint job it would be showroom quality.
How does this ford engine effect the pricing? I do not know how many miles it has on it, but it runs sweet.
Can anyone give me somewhat of a range?

Old 10-04-2005, 07:53 PM
Default RE: Hi new Mercedes owner & New to Forum

ORIGINAL: conjuringupann

Iam baffled by the value of my mercedes I just purchased. First of all I see on e-bay alot of 280 and 250 coupes selling for a lot of money. But, mine is a sedan 4 door and also has been converted with a ford 302 V8 engine so I do not know what the heck the value is.
The interior is cherry, all original and complete. The outside is nice, the paint job shows its age but is still ok. Oh it is a 1971. If I got a new paint job it would be showroom quality.
How does this ford engine effect the pricing? I do not know how many miles it has on it, but it runs sweet.
Can anyone give me somewhat of a range?
Actually, you have a sort of cool car...a MB with a Ford engine. What did you pay for it? Keep it. Someday you will be surprised by it's value. Make sure you keep it in good shape.

Old 10-04-2005, 08:19 PM

corkscrew I really stoll it , I got it for 700.00...lol
I think the guy really needed money and didnt have any idea that it did
have some value even with it not having the original engine.

Yeah it is pretty cool and the inside is so cherry but it is driving me nuts
not knowing if it is worth 2,000 or 4,000 lol lol....or I do not know what amt...lol

Old 10-04-2005, 09:53 PM

Did the previous owner say why he picked a Ford V8 for the car? There had to been extensive modification to the drivetrain to do such a conversion?

Old 10-04-2005, 11:22 PM

That's a strange combo, M-B and Ford.

You'd have to sell it to know what it's worth. It's worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it. Right now it's worth $700.

No offense, but I would never buy such a car so it's worthless IMO. It has no appeal.

Old 10-05-2005, 06:41 AM

no offense there are alot of cars and suvs I would nvr own too. I do think that your answer is over simplified as you can say that with any item . One can also say it is driven by supply and demand too. These are the oh too obvious.

Is it a good thing to have a updated engine though? does it not make it easier and less expenive to find parts? Or for resale is this a down fall to the collector? I guess once again it depends on the individual.
By the guide books it could be 2500.00 to 6000.00 but if having a different engine cuts the value in half
then that is something I should know or if it increases it 20-40 percent I should also be aware of this too.
I know you do not know , I am just rambling, it is late at night and I have nothing better to do....lol

Old 10-05-2005, 12:24 PM

Okay, here's an under-simplified look at it.

I'm just old-fashioned, I guess. I like classic cars, restored and unrestored and I don't mind updated drivetrains.

My '55 BelAir has a re-conditioned late-'80s 5.7L Chevy engine, a 4-speed manual trans and a Ford 9" rear end. The interior, including the trunk, was totally redone and modernized. The wheels are real wire spokes. This car is called a "street rod" because it's so modified from the original.

I love this car. Whenever I drive it, it turns heads. People open their windows just to give me a thumbs up. People gravitate to it when it's parked. They want to see everything that's been done to it. They don't groan when they learn it's not original or wonder why it's not.

My '70 Chevelle is a restored-original car. The car has many new parts, but they are OEM reproductions. The only thing that's not original style is the steering wheel. I don't like the large diameter thin-grip original wheel, so I bought a smaller diameter wheel with a fat grip.

This car also turns heads, but for a different reason. You can hear the 454 engine coming from a mile away. It's red. At a stoplight, you can feel the idling engine vibrating your car. When people check this car out they're amazed at how original it is (except for the engine that's been modified for added hp).

Both cars are "worth" a lot to me. There's a certain amount that I would ask for if they were for sale. I would pull that number out of my butt and hope for the best. But, their actual value would be what someone else paid for them. They're worthless to anyone who wouldn't buy them.

If I were looking for a used M-B and found one with a Ford engine, I would walk away. It doesn't appeal to me. It may appeal to someone else, however. On the other hand, the 302 is Ford's best-ever engine, IMO. I seriously think it would be worth more with an M-B engine and probably a little more with an original replacement. A new M-B engine would be a good selling point.