Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

New to forum, first time Mercedes owner

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 07:21 PM
Default New to forum, first time Mercedes owner

Hi all
I'm a newbie, I just purchased my first Benz last week. It's a 1980 300 sd turbo diesel with 230k miles. The interior and exterior need a little work but the engine is sound, it starts on the first try and the ride is smooth. Overall, it's in pretty good shape, it needs new paint, but there is very little rust on the body. I plan on starting to restore it little by little. I am the third owner, the last guy had it for 15 years and I have a good amount of the original paper work.
I do plan on getting a new paint job and working on the upholstery and interior.
The previous owner had a cd of the electrical schematics, are there any other items or ideas that would be helpful to a newbie?
Many thanks for any help/suggestions.
Liz

Old 04-25-2010, 10:59 AM

Check the Rubber Boots on your Rear Axles for cracks or leaks.

Check the Rubber Flex Discs on your Drive shaft.

Ceck you Rubber Oil Cooler Hoses for leaks

Check to se if the Oil Coolers Hoses are getting close to your Power Steering Belt; if so it could mean the Motor Mount is collasping (you guessed it made of Rubber). The Belts have been know to cut through the Hose and cause a loss of Oil and Oil pressure.

So you see the trend here 20 something year old Rubber parts may be reaching the end of their life and must at least be checked. You Front Control Arms also are mounted on Rubber Bushings.

Becareful not to lean on the large Vacuum Hose/Tubeing that goes from the Vacuum Pump to the Brake Booster as the plastic nipples easily crack off.

The Valves need to be adjusted on these Engines.

Old 04-26-2010, 11:53 AM
Default Thanks for the information

Hi Diesel-thank you for the checklist. I plan on getting started this weekend, the list is very helpful!
Kind regards,
Liz