New Mercedes Benz Forum Members Area Just joining us here at Mercedes Benz Forum? Stop in, say hi, introduce yourself and your ride.

Hello! Everybody- New member with old problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 12:42 PM
Default Hello! Everybody- New member with old problems

w126 560sel

[hr]
[/align]Hello everybody;

I am new to this forum. I am from Norhern Virginia- Gainesville. I really appreciate all the informations that are available on this forum. Once again Hello! to everybody. I hope this will be nice learning experience for me with the helpfrom experianced and knowladgable member like you.

Ihave 560 sel 1988 that was involved in low speed front end collision.I decided to fix it myself. The car has 207,000 miles. It was running absolutely fine just like new without any problem. I not a mechanic but I have hobby of working on my cars. This is the first time I doing such a big project and learning same time.

First, I am going to list what are damages to the car

1- The grill and hood damaged and pushed back.
2- Front frame pushed back with A/c condenser and radiator.
3- Fan and fan clutch bent and stuck with radiator although I did not see coolant leak from the radiator but it was bent.
4- Both headlights are busted.
5- Two v- belts from crank pulley to power steering including water pump broke.

Here is what has done so for to fix my car.

1- Pulled the front frame forward using the jack to its almost original position.
2- Removed the radiator, fan and fan clutch assembly.
3- Loosen the air pump, alternator, power steering pump, belt tensoner and removed remaining belts.
4- Removed the both headlight assemblies with turn signals.
5- Removed the hood with the grill.

I manage to get all the parts from the junk Yard. Luckily they had the same color and model MB 560sel.

So I got the following parts from the Junk Yard. It was a junk yard that you go and pull out whatever part you need from any car and they have universal price for the any parts from any car. I am listing the parts with the cost that I paid for the parts.

1- Both headlight assemblies - 70 dollars
2- Radiator -30 dollars
3- Fan with fan clutch - 15 dollars
4- Hood - 45 dollars
5- Grill with star- 25 dollars
6- Belts - couple of dollars.

Now I am ready to put everything back to the car. But before I put everything back I have few questions for you guys. Please help me if you can.

1- I started the car after the accident can started fine I drove few feet car drove absolutely fine no problems. My question is should I check or replace anything else before I start putting things together.

2- I notice some oil dripping not much but few drops below the steering pump and A/c compressor which is below the steering pump is soaked with oil. I know it is leak. Should I pull out steering pump to fix it or just replace the hoses?

3- What else should I do before I put all parts to the car? Since it would be easy to do some preventive works while the car is in this condition, since there is lot of room to work around the engine in the front.

I will appreciate any response from you guys. What do you think?

[IMG]local://upfiles/35669/A3EDCE06372C453986FE1CA41C88AFDA.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/35669/EE00218383EC43A498D99ADC2B795C6D.jpg[/IMG]