New Mercedes Benz Forum Members Area Just joining us here at Mercedes Benz Forum? Stop in, say hi, introduce yourself and your ride.

Haggling at a MB dealership? GLK 350

Old 11-08-2009, 12:21 AM
Default Haggling at a MB dealership? GLK 350

Hi all,

I'm a newbie here, and perhaps shouldn't be here just yet, as I don't actually own a MB at this time. I am, however, looking at purchasing a GLK 350 which I recently saw in a showroom in Honolulu, and wanted to know people's thoughts on the ability to negotiate on sticker price with MBs. I know the starting MSRP is quite low on these cars, but the options quickly add up, and I'm not too familiar with the haggling etiquette when it comes to luxury cars, so I could use the advice. The sales guy we are working with sold three Mercedes' to my mother in law, so he's known them for ten years, but I don't know if that's enough of a reason to ask for a price reduction.

Any and all help is highly appreciated!

Kai

Old 05-01-2013, 06:55 AM

When I seek to purchase a vehicle I approach the encounter as I would any business decision/transaction - objectively. Realize it is the salesman's job to get as much for the vehicle as he can. Your job is to buy the car while retaining as much of your money as you can. I am not disrespectful toward the dealership's representative, but I have been known to be very straightforward/blunt in my negotiations. I have a dollar or two and I did not get it by being timid and throwing away several thousand dollars because I was afraid of offending a salesman or his sales manager. When I enter a dealership with the intent to purchase it is AFTER I have done my research and know exactly what I want and what I am willing to pay which, of course, includes a reasonable profit for the dealership. Finally, I will only deal with a decision maker; the sales manager - I will not negotiate with a floor salesman who must run back and forth to his/her manager with the "numbers". Rarely has that been unacceptable - on the rare occasion that has been a problem, then I walk. Be pleasant, but firm. Don't be affraid to negotiate. Good luck. By the way, there is no difference in haggling over the price of a Ford or the price of a Mercedes Benz - the process is the same. The only real difference, other than the size of the pile of money to be exchanged, is that the Ford guy might be wearing slacks and a sport shirt while the MB guy will likely be wearing a Brooks Bros. suit in a showroom featuring "elevator music".

Last edited by mdmikeb; 05-01-2013 at 08:23 AM.