New Mercedes Benz Forum Members Area Just joining us here at Mercedes Benz Forum? Stop in, say hi, introduce yourself and your ride.

Great Experience

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 04:00 PM
Default Great Experience

Greetings Everyone,

I own a 2001 C240 and would like to share my experience of picking the vehicle at the factory. I did this 5 years ago and it is still warmly remembered. The Euro M-B people are fantastic. I happened on Euro delivery by accident. When I ordered my car, a 6spd C240, they were hard to come by in there first year of production and no dealer in this country that I checked was discounting. My sister went with me to my local dealership on my last preownership visit to purchase/order this car. I thought I had made the best deal I could, which was only about $500 less than sticker, don't laugh but I will appreciate any advice. My sister had purchased a Saab through Euro delivery and asked if the same could be done with this car. Obviously it could, and that knocked another grand off the price. The car didn't take any longer to get as it was being special ordered anyhow.

Three other family members and myself flew to Germany in May of 2001 to pick the car up and take a small vacation. We were given a transfer from the airport to the factory. We arrived at the factory around noon and they gave us all a great lunch and good German beer. We went in a group of approximately 20 to tour the factory. The C takes only three days to assemble/build. The pan was stamped out out of one piece of steel on the largest press in the world at that time. The drive components come from the Stutgart factory,I believe. The only process they would not show was the electrostatic painting. The quality control on this vehicle was impressive. They don't allow much deviation from specifications. After the tour we went to the factory shop to purchase a few items that shipped back with the car. I then took delivery of the car which took about 45 minutes with complete explanations of all the systems and buttons. My factory rep suggested I stay below 90mph with this new car on the Autobahn. Bummer! My next vehicle I will purchase an extended warranty and enjoy the Autobahn. I had driven for hours at 130mph before and been passed by much less safe vehicles. This factory delivers hundreds of cars a day this way for owners from all over the world. I did not visit the M-B museum this trip but I will the next time.

We took the car with a full tank of expensive European gas and a month of insurance and began our minivacation. We had already been in the South of France and neighboring countries for a week or so. I forgot to mention the my brother inlaw worked for a major airline and my sister is a travel agent so we travel at affordable rates. The only mistake I made was not to sign up for the Bavarian/Black Forest tour as it was approximately $1200 more for another 4 or 5 days of hotels. Our base European delivery package included two nights of hotels. I've stayed at many hotels around the world but the finest was the Beau Rivage Palace in Lausanne, Switzerland where we spent our first night. It was a little difficult to find arriving in town late at night because there was much local nightlife happening and the entrance is somewhat obscure. This was not my first or last trip to Europe so I was familiar with the local driving habits and roads. I have not driven in Paris or any large Italian city but I have driven in most major US cities. The other night we stayed at Hotel Buhlerhohe in Baden Baden, Germany. The scenery on the road and at the hotels was astounding. The car was dropped off at the factory location and it arrived at my local dealership in three weeks. I strongly encourage anyone thinking of purchasing a M-B to consider European deliverly as they(Euro M-B) treat you great. I will be purchasing a new E or Boxter in a couple of years and hope to repeat this experience.

Take care,
Zippy50

Old 09-07-2006, 08:13 PM
Default RE: Great Experience

Welcome to the forum Zippy! Sounds like you had a great trip! My wife and I spent 3 years in Germany between Kaiserslautern and Heidelberg. We loved it!! I may be heading back there for a new job at the end of the year.

I agree, the autobahn is a total blast to drive!! At the time I had a Honda del Sol. I commuted from Ktown to Heidelberg, about 90 miles. It took me exactly 60 minutes from door to door so...do the math. [sm=exactly.gif] I can't wait to get my SLK over there! Hopefully soon.

Anyway...welcome and look forward to seeing you more!

Happy driving! [sm=gears.gif]

Old 09-07-2006, 11:31 PM
Default RE: Great Experience

Thanks for the great story! What a neat experience... Too bad you didn't get to wind it up on the Autobahn! I've always bought used cars, even in Europe, but your tale is so vivid I think I'm getting a whiff of that new car smell! It was a grand adventure which keyed many fond memories.
Best wishes,
charlie