New Mercedes Benz Forum Members Area Just joining us here at Mercedes Benz Forum? Stop in, say hi, introduce yourself and your ride.

Considering

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2005 | 12:31 AM
|
Default Considering

Hello!

I looked at purchasing a 1985 SEL tonight. Here is what I see wrong. Please provide thoughts:

Windshield cracked, all the way across, but not all the way through. Approx. Cost?

There is some seemingly plastic top to the radiator, it leaks by the upper hose. You can't see the leak in the short time I looked at it. Owner says that it does not leak on hiway drives, only on sitting in traffic drives. Can this upper piece be purchased separate from the entire radiator? Approx. cost?

Driving out onto the main hiway, the speed kept climbing on level, downhill, and uphill, even with foot off of accelerator. Yes, it has cruise control. I could not feel the gas pedal sinking to the floor however. When I pulled it back into the parking lot, put it in nuetral, then reverse the tranny delayed then jumped real hard. I repeated this process and could not duplicate it. After this exercise, the acceleration did not seem to stick anymore. The transmission fluid was nice and red in the middle of the stick; there were very slight traces of grey on both edges of the stick.

Broken lenses around headlights. And I guess this model did not have headlight wipers?

The underneath of the hood did not have half the insulation on it, and it was rusty corroded. The engine looked like some dried oil on top of the manifold, and the header pipes were rusty corroded looking.

Some of the clear-coat has been repainted on the hood with regular paint, and is slightly peeled off the moon roof.

Cracked dash, approx cost?

Power windows made sound but no worky. One did work.

Only torn seat was the back seat (leather) on the top where seamed together.