New Mercedes Benz Forum Members Area Just joining us here at Mercedes Benz Forum? Stop in, say hi, introduce yourself and your ride.

CLK320 ENGINE CUTTING OFF

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2004, 02:28 PM
Default CLK320 ENGINE CUTTING OFF

Dear Budding Merc owners, has anyone ever been in a situation when the engine cuts off during driving.

After a short while it starts again , then the same thing happens.

please reply as I am in serious need of advice..

Old 11-30-2004, 04:55 PM
Default RE: CLK320 ENGINE CUTTING OFF

I had a Porsche (86 911) that did that. It took the Porsche dealer 4 tries to fix it. It turned out to be the manifold heat sensor, if the manifold temp got too hot it would cut off the engine so the block wouldn't crack or something like that, but the sensor was malfunction and cutting off the engine at normal operating temps. That was a air cooled Porsche of the mid 80's but it might help? It cost me over $1,500US before they figured out which sensor it was. One day the engine stopped in the middle lane of a 4 lane interstate in the middle of a bridge during rush hour, I barely made it to the other side bridge and a tractor trailer almost sent me to heaven. Even though I loved that car, I sold it after that. See I had it in the shop for 3 days and had picked it up that morning it the assurances it was fixed. Once it started again I drove to the dealer. First time I ever I arrested for assualt. I punched the Service manager in the face. He didn't press charges, but I had to pay to have two front teeth replaced and have his broken nose fixed. Thank God I was still working then and making money.

Old 11-30-2004, 11:15 PM
Super Moderator

theodore roosvelt says: "speak softly and carry a big stick".

Old 12-01-2004, 09:47 AM

Your correct, But these people almost got me killed, and they really didn't know what sensor was bad, This incident happened after the third visit. After the incident the car was fixed and never had that problem again. Yes, I over reacted and paid for it. But such is life.

Old 12-01-2004, 12:09 PM
Super Moderator

your reaction was justified because i can see that it was an error from their side.

firstly, their negotiation skill is not good enough which triggers your impulse to introduce five knuckles to the manager's face directly. [sm=smiley18.gif]

then, comes their trial and error way of diagnosis which not only cost you money, but safety as well.

Old 12-01-2004, 02:44 PM

What really got me, I had bought about 5 cars at this dealership and consider myself a good customer, never gave them any trouble, until the Porsche incident. Even back in 86 they did have some diagnostic tools to use. They always had a smitten attitude, never bought a car there again. My wife still owns a 94 AUDI she bought new from this dealer, I had bought the Porsche in 94 also. We had to take her car to them this year for some major service, as there aren't any shops I would trust with with my Mercedes or her Audi. Anyway, most of the personnel have changed including the service department, but they still have an attitude. I can't say that about the MB dealer I use, very user friendly. Your are correct on all your points especially the safety issue and the money issue. Interest story, when I took my wife to pick up her car, one of the salespeople came out and said to me, "want to dump that Benz," I said no, I would never buy a car here if my life depended on it, he asked why? I told him my name and told him to asked around, perhaps someone is still around who remembers what happened 10 years ago. Then I left.

Old 12-02-2004, 12:25 PM

Punching someone is called assault. There's no justification for it and that's why it's against the law in our civilized society. It's also why they put people like you in a cage for commiting it. The guy you hit did you a huge favor by not pressing charges, but you obiviously haven't learned your lesson. Do your knuckles drag on the ground when you walk?