Mercedes S Class Mercedes S350, Mercedes S430, Mercedes S500 and Mercedes S600 Sedans.

car keeps cutting off

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 11:30 AM
Default car keeps cutting off

Hi,

I have a 97 s320. I put gas in the car a week ago and I noticed that the car started acting funny. I would be driving and the car would start to loose power and then it would start jerking like it was going to cut off. After riding for a while it would go away, but then it would speed up and loose power again and then it would just cut off. Sometimes it will start right back up, and other times I will have to let it sit for a while. My husband put some dry gas treatment in it along with a little more than a half of tank of ultra gas and we thought that solved the problem. We got the car home and left it running andwe got out. The engine started racing by itself like someone was pushing the gas pedal to the floor. I got in and cut it off and started it again, and then it was fine. Does anybody have a clue what the problem could be. This happened around Christmas last year too. I had ittowed to the dealer then, and they told me it was the throttle actuator. Well I had that put on, and that didn't solve the problem.

Old 10-19-2008, 11:43 AM
Default RE: car keeps cutting off

Are you sure the gas you put is the correct one and also not adulterated/contaminated with kerosene of watercan you be more specific, did you replace the actuator as I may have misunderstood from your sentence and wish not to do a guessing game? did you see the old actuator before replacement? you may want to start with a star diagnosis and find out if there are any fault code stored and have fault code deleted, then have the engine tuned up, if after using the star computer to diagnose there should be an indication of fault code which may identify the problem. address accordingly. you may also want to find out how good or bad is your fuel filter and air filter? change if necessary.

Old 10-21-2008, 10:46 AM
Default RE: car keeps cutting off

I put the correct gas in the car. It was premium gas from the Shell gas station not a can. Yes we did have the actuator replaced. I did not see the actuator myself. The air filter and the fuel filter were both changed about4-5 months ago.Where do I need to go to get the star diagnosis done? I thought the Mercedes dealer would have figured those things out, but what do I know. We parked the car over the weekend and didn't drive it for a few days. Yesterday my husband drove off in it and it started jerking again and cut off. This time it would not crank back up, and we had to tow it to the house.